Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm Too Sexy For My Map

For your reading pleasure, I'm going to be sprinkling in a few short posts about the addons I'm using currently to keep my UI clean. I had a big screenie a few days back where I just did a general layout. I plan to reuse that screenie and zoom in on certain parts, just letting you know what they are and perhaps a tip or trick to using them. I don't plan on making long exhaustive posts on how to use them, often times this has already been done. If there are questions though, feel free to ask them in comments and I will try to hit you up with an answer.

First, one of my recent additions can be found in the upper right hand corner of the big screenie re-pictured below.


The Big Picture

Zoomed In

You'll see a nice, neat little square mini-map. My love of this add-on stems from the OCD-engineer in me. I mean, the screen is square, so why the heck is the default minimap round? Aren't maps usually square too? The roundness bothered me, just so much wasted space. Plus all those little bubble buttons staring back at me.... ugh!

Enter the SexyMap addon. I can't claim to have discovered this all on my own and credit must go out to Phaelia over at Resto4Life for the original inspiration. She has a great guide on how to make a tree-friendly skin that can be easily adapted to make something more... evil. If you want a great in-depth look at how to customize the addon, head over there.

For my part, I just use the "Simple Square" preset that comes with the addon. It is what it says it is: a simple square. Go squares!

But Mr. Ful, there are not buttons and no clock! How shall I know the time or tweak some settings?

Do not panic, they will appear via magic when you mouse over the map. This is perfect for me. I don't want to see them 90% of the time, but when I do need them, I don't want to have to hunt for an hour through menus. Just mouse over, and there they are, just where you left them!

Additionally, you can set the clock to be "always shown" or even replace the clock with a display of your coordinates. I've toyed with both depending on my needs. I usually like the coordinates to be on when leveling, but like the clock when counting down to another exciting adventure in Clustergrasp. You can even set the "Always show, never show, show on mouse over" choices for each individual button.

The functionality of the mini-map remains the same. You'll see the same maps, the same quest indicators, the same blinky-target-thingy-when-someone-in-the-group-accidentally-clicks-up-there... you know, all the good stuff. You can still zoom in and out. This just makes your map... sexy. I guess in the world of the OCD enginerd, simple square is sexy? Ugh... I need to get out more.

Fuuuuuuuu!

2 comments:

  1. You would all /cower in fear of my UI...

    Sometimes when I'm Raiding I feel like I'm peering through a hole.

    Ful, What am I tanking again? I can only see his nostrils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yah, I do miss the square map. I used to get a square map with NerfUI but since they stop updating I have been stuck with the default round map, must make that change.

    /Thanks.

    ReplyDelete