Friday, January 9, 2009

Warlock Bugs and DK Macro

I realize I seem to link an awful lot around here, but I like to give credit where credit is due without regurgitating other's posts. Also, nearly all of my information is gathered from blogs in general, since many of the main research sites are blocked at my work. This equates to mucho linkage and difficulty providing an original twist. Or, at least, coming up with original posts that aren't random stories and pictures of personal exploits. For that, I apologize, but I will also continue to do it. Chances are, if you're reading this, you're not here for my shining insights anyways, but rather to grin at my various idiosyncrasies. Woot, big word.

In any case, in keeping with that tradition here at KES, I'd like to link the MC yet again. I love her work and the way she lays the info out without being preachy. Plus, good Warlock blogs are in short supply nowadays so I'm gonna spread the love on thick if I can :-). In any case, she does a wonderful round up of the warlock bug fixes coming our way.

I don't have much to add other than this may entice me to drop Immolate from my rotation again. I'd noticed some odd behavior with it and had just written it off to being scatterbrained or glitchy. However, what I was seeing would be best explained by the bug they're fixing, so I guess that it was, indeed, what I was experiencing. Thus, Immolate is back on my bad side. Add that to the fact that I really don't want to have to worry about clipping on another spell and the merely marginal DPS gains, and you get a picture of a spell that can safely be dropped without too much grinding of teeth. I tried to like the fire, I really did, but I guess I'm shadow to the core.

Immolate, you are the weakest DoT, good bye.

Other than that stupid spell, I see that Corruption may have been screwed up as well. I'm hoping the fix fot that will bump my DPS a bit as Corr accounts for a large chunk of DPS and the everlasting affliction method of refreshing is my bread and butter. If you're using the set-and-forget method of Dotting, this should be a welcome fix.

After reading all that though, I still fail to see a true aid package for Warlocks. Unfortunately, I think we're still going to be average DPS'ers and struggle to put up big numbers. That makes me sad, but what can we do? Maybe I'll send my imp to live with a Blizz developer for a bit. I haven't been using him since the Wrath Felhunter changes anyways. After a week of his banter, I'm sure changes will appear. OP Imps would be pretty cool too. Say, let them DPS in shifted form and make it an AoE fireball. Yeah, completely OP. I'd even start to learn to like fire then. For Sar, they could even make it green fire. However, until I learn the RL imp summoning spell, I guess I'm just going to have to be patient.

In that case, I think I'll switch gears to my DK then, since melee classes seem to be in ship shape right now and my DK is the closest playstyle I've found to warlockery. It can actually be a quite satisfying little change when you want to feel cool again.

If you've been following patch notes, you've probably seen some the DK changes coming up. There are two in particular that I'm excited about found on the DK.info site:

  1. Heart Strike no longer has a haste debuff but will now be able to strike two targets.
  2. Vampiric Blood: In addition to its current effects, also adds 20% health temporarily.
Striking two targets is fun. Woot for that. Also, being able to "bubble" your health is a cool thing too. Especially since I just wrote a macro last night to make better use of this ability. I'm pretty sure the macro has been done before, but I just "winged it" (or would that be wung?) last night and was pretty proud of it.

Basically I wanted to make use of Vampiric Blood right before Rune Tapping for life, thus maximizing the tap and using VB more often without having to think about it. This one-button feature is kind of an "Oh $h!t" button, hitting you up with a quick, larger heal while also increasing your self healing abilities from your auras and stuff. As a blood DK, it works quite well and has saved my butt a couple times when I felt like being Death Knoobish and pulling more than I could handle (Disclaimer: For safety's sake Death Knoobing should only be attempted in a controlled soloing environment. This author does not condone the use of Death Knoobing outside of said environment). In any case, here is what I wrote:

#showtooltip
/cast Vampiric Blood
/cast Rune Tap

This is neat in that it lets you cast the two simultaneously since VB is an "ability" and thus not tied to GCD. It will also cast either one when their respective cooldowns are up, even if the companion spell is not. I thought it was pretty slick, though I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of it, and it can come in quite handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment