Monday, December 29, 2008

Distractions

The holidays never fail to provide me some sort of distraction from the normal routine. This year, as with most in recent memory, the distraction took the form of Best Buy gift cards. Thus, I am the proud owner of two new console games: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Resistance 2.

Why does this matter, you might ask. Well, it is a large part of the reason my posts are lacking. Its not like I'm taking a break, I still get on WoW almost nightly, but I just don't do a whole lot. Fuu and I are in a holding pattern. We've hit 80, but most of our guild hasn't. They're all pretty casual (read:slow), which brings me to the heart of the issue and the reason for the post.

Fuu and I are starting to wonder if we will actually be able to field a raid team this time around. There has been a lot of upheaval surrounding the whole expansion thing, and its left us with a very bare bones membership. We're hugely short on healers and tanks. Most of the remaining members don't have the time to put into the game either. It's quite sad because we love our guild and the people in it. It's not anyones fault, RL just gets in the way sometimes. However, I know that at some point something is going to have to happen.

Fuu and I want to raid, if we can find that outlet without having to leave our guild, that'd be great. We refuse to PuG through it. Epic pass on that noise. We do have other chances on our server through an alliance, but they seem to be having similar issues, so I'm not hopeful about it. I have friends on other servers. My cousin specifically was trying to recruit us over the break. They have need for our DPS and tanking skills respectively. It was a very attractive offer, but we're loathe to leave our friends. Server changing is such a big step, IMO. I suppose that all depends on the people surrounding you, but we've been very fortunate in that area.

So, like I said, we're in a holding pattern right now. We've got some short term goals that will keep us busy in game and give our guild the chance to catch up. I just hope they do. I felt the urge to write this because I have the distinct feeling that I'm not alone. There are probably a lot of you out there who are contemplating making some changes in the game you love. Perhaps it helps to read we face similar dilemmas. Perhaps not, but at least I tried. /pat.

If you're like me, then, and looking for some distractions out of game as well. Resistance 2 is a great game to pick up. There is some good co-op online group play. It's a lot more "real time" than an MMORPG as Fuu is finding out, but there are still very common roles: a tank, a damage dealer, and a healer. In the game these are the Soldier, Special-Ops, and Medic classes respectively. I've found it fun to bring the grouping mentality to a FPS type game. If such things interest you, it may be worth your time to check out. It may even help you to look at group roles in a different light and refresh your passion for a particular role, who knows?

I haven't done much with the Star Wars game yet, but I'm an old school Star Wars nerd, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Give me a lightsaber and watch me degenerate into a child... yeehaw!

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame you can't swap factions because our Naxx-10 team needs a tank and 1 ranged DPS =X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's just a shame we can't temporarily raid with some others on our mains without a server change, etc, because our guild will get there eventually and we don't want to leave our friends. They're just being slow and we're impatient.

    ReplyDelete