With that in mind, I went with a 14/57/0 spec. I filled up the "Nerves of Cold Steel" talent as well as the "Threat of Thasarrian" talent. I removed two points from Two Handed Weapon Specialization and kept almost everything else the same.
It's important to note that my aim is to be able to do two things well with this spec. The first, I'd like to be able to DPS in a PvE environment competitively. The second, I'd like to feel competitive in PvP Battlegrounds. Thus, some points are chosen for that sort of utility, even though I know it makes my spec not "the best" raiding spec or "the best" PvP spec. It's a hybrid spec. For instance, my PvP needs are what entice me to spec into both Rune Tap and Chillblains. Keep that in mind in your criticisms :-).
This also reflects itself in my choice of glyphs. You can see from the link above that I'm going with:
- Howling Blast - To spread Frost Fever and, thereby, Chillblains. Awesome for keeping melee away from demolishers, etc.
- Disease - One button, one rune refreshing of diseases. Totally a must for DPS as it lets you throw in a lot more Obliterates
- Rune Tap - For the self/group heal. This is a utility thing that I enjoy. If you're looking for more DPS, go with the Glyph of OB as it is totally worth it.
- Horn of Winter - These three minors are pretty much "no duh" choices.
- Pestilence - for the obvious
- Raise Dead - for the obvious
IT > PS > OB > FS > BS > Pest > OB > OB > FS (repeating basically Pest, OB's, FS as they come up and making sure my diseases never fall off. Also, I throw in a HB whenever Rime procs... looking for the shinies around your player)
It's pretty simple, fun, and puts up respectable numbers. With the addition of the glyph, I was doing better DPS than I was pre-patch right away even using my 2h weapon. Then I switch to my DW weapons and saw my DPS go up ~100 more on the same dummy. This is certainly not battle tested, but I would argue that my 2H weapon is far better than my 2 DW weapons, yet still I was putting out more DPS as a DW. It seems to me to confirm the general rumors I'm hearing that DW >> 2H for the Frost tree DPS spec.
I know that in the course of my research, it was tough to figure out what DW weapons to use. I know you want a slower weapon in each hand, but it was still hard for me to find "easy to get" 1H DPS weapons. I didn't want to farm anything, just purchase some stuff because I wanted to test it before I took the plunge. This basically limited me to emblems, seals, and/or currently achieved rep items. In the end, I settled on:
- Fang of Truth from Wyrmrest Accord (Revered)
- Grasscutter from Emblems (50 Heroism)
- (edit: far better to pick up are two Reaper of Dark Souls if you're revered with Ebon Blade since they're slower and have decent stats)
I'm also working on a DW tanking spec too, but I'll reserve a separate post for that.
So now that I've thrown all this out there, please feel free to shoot me advice and critique. I'm sure I've missed things or could have done things better. In particular, I would love advice on what to look for as far as DW stats on weapons. I find that I don't really understand that stats on them so much right now. Just keep in mind that I'm choosing to run with a hybrid spec for fun, realizing it means I'm not going to "top the charts" DPS wise in a raid. That's not the point of what I'm doing. I want to maximize this spec while retaining the utility in both PvP and some PvE (mostly heroics, maybe some low-end raiding). Thanks in advance!
(edit: In response to some comments and further research, I posted an update here with some clarifications about the IIT buff and how it affected my rotation.)