Okay, you got me. I'm being sarcastic. And a little bit valley-girl or something. Whatev. It's just that apparently we're in the grips of a slow news... month? As soon as something - anything - hit the interwebz, everyone decided to write about it. Far be it from me to stop the dead horse beatings. As Sar put it: "Unfortunately, the problem with big announcements is every bloody damned blogger out there writes about them." It sounds really angry if you put it in an Australian accent and pout a bit. I'm with you, Sar. Yet here I am, writing about it anyways, because wtf else am I going to write about.
So, at least I'm going to try to just keep it to my personal
Here are my Warlocky Thoughts:
- The almost had me on this whole Fel Fire thing. That is, until they said "this is similar to the Mage ability..." and anything after that was lost in a blind rage. Blizz, I appreciate the nod towards green fire and even maybe getting a true instant cast spell that could be useful, but for Light's sake stop treating us like Mages. It's bad enough you gave them pets and us... nothing. Probably give them "Super Mage Form" next where they become a huge fire elemental and deal extra damage for a set period of time.
- There was some shit about buffs. Yeah, we don't do that. Next.
- They waved around some feeble ideas for soul shard revamps. I hope it's not like the carrots in Ocarina of Time when you're riding Epona. If you're a Legend of Zelda fan, you know what I'm talking about. I can just picture three little soulshards and an annoying "boowip" sounds as they regen automatically out of combat. I hope they don't go that route. I still want to be evil and trap people's souls.
- Along those lines, I'm not sure about the special "combo" abilities they were suggesting. Like consuming a UA for some instant damage? I don't know how that would play out. If it takes us two casts to do it (put on UA, then like consume a soul and something happens?), it could be useful, but it could also just be too slow. I'm hoping for something to help Affliction Warlocks on quick dying stuff, but I'm not sure this is the answer. The soul fire thing looked interesting though. I love that spell on my Demo 'lock. Instant cast would be awesome.
- I like what they're doing with haste adding on to the end of DoTs. It was sort of annoying when you'd get to higher levels of haste and have the darned things dropping off so fast. I'm hoping this means they scale everything correctly so you don't just get super long DoTs either, but that it's just more ticks in the same amount of time. This would make fiddling with a rotation a lot more precise.
- I guess splitting up the Curses and making some Banes is a good thing. I don't know though. I mean what do I do when not on CotE duty? CoW? No way. It would be nice to have CotE and CoA (BoA) up though. I wouldn't have to feel like I'm sacrificing DPS to help others, and we all know Warlocks are all about being selfish. (See above buff statement).
- It looks like pets might get more interesting. As long as I get to keep using my Felpup and he synergizes well, I think I'm okay with this. I really don't want to have to micro-manage though. Still, set-it-and-forget-it is kind of boring too. Maybe we can get a healthy medium?
- They mentioned something about Drain Soul refreshing some stuff. Looks like they're really trying to make this out finishing move. Quite frankly, I love it. I wish all the 'locks pulled out DS at the end. It looks like we're Ghost Buster's and someone's just throw out that trap thingy of theirs. Don't cross the streams.
- As for the mastery stuff... what the hell is up with Blizz trying to force crit down our throats? The stat is totally devalued with Affliction 'locks. Haste is up near SP in terms of damage per point. Crit is like half that. Why would Demo's mastery involved haste but not Affliction? Ugh. That's so critty of them.
- WTF are they going to do about DW tanking? I have my guess (it might go away), but I don't have to like it.
- Why would we tank in Frost presence and spec in the Blood tree? I really don't understand their choice of Blood as the "tank tree" here. I can only hope it'll change or however they implement it will make more damn sense than what I'm seeing in the preview. Sounds like a huge overhaul though.
For 'locks - I think they're finally going to help some of our "up front" damage. They're looking at ways to give us more instant stuff and ways to cut DoTs short so they damage all at once. To me this screams "we want you to be better on add fights". They also want to make pets more integral, more than just set-it-forget-it. They want to give us more utility in raid situations. That's probably a good thing. It also looks like they want to give Demonology some much needed love. They want to strengthen our finishing power, and, last but not least, they want to fix the shard system using what they've learned from DKs (you know that's their baseline). Expect all these things to reflect themselves in the final solution. The bad news is that they're also going to be looking a lot at what works for Mages and try to apply it a bit for us. Since I guess we are pretty much Mages that decided to be evil (and badass), it makes sense from a lore point of view I suppose. I just hope we don't lose the "evil" part.
For DKs - They're going to cut down the trees and plant new ones. Not totally new, but not the smorgasbord they are today. It's going to be a lot clearer what tree does what. There will be a "tank" tree. It will most likely be Blood. DW tanking will probably go away. Sad day. More on DKs still to come, though.
Now that I've got one spell of Green Fire in the works, I think I want Black Ice for my DK too. I mean, blue ice is so passe. Just one spell though, Blizz, don't overdo it. :-)