Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cata Paladin Changes: We get a PET! Well... sorta.

Hey Gang!


I wanted to discuss some of these SEXY changes for Paladins that was spewed out over at MMO-Champion. The Blue text is OBVIOUSLY the Blues posts & the orange is my commentary. Again, everything that I say is speculation and pulling ideas out of my bum but who doesn't want to read what I have to say right? ;)


Blinding Shield (level 81): Causes damage and blinds all nearby targets. This effect might end up only damaging those facing the paladin’s shield, in a manner similar to Eadric the Pure's ability Radiance in Trial of the Champion. The Holy tree will have a talent to increase the damage and critical strike chance, while the Protection tree will have a talent to make this spell instant cast. 2-second base cast time. Requires a shield.
Sounds similar to Holy Wrath on Undead but your friends have to be paying attention to you when you do it or it loses its effect. Also, minus the AoE Stun. Does the Eadric the Pure's ability have a disorienting/ stun ability? What I'm curious about is Can I get the crit part that's in the holy tree? That just sounds like a yummy AoE threat generator to me.

Healing Hands (level 83): Healing Hands is a new healing spell. The paladin radiates heals from him or herself, almost like a Healing Stream Totem. It has a short range, but a long enough duration that the paladin can cast other heals while Healing Hands remains active. 15-second cooldown. 6-second duration. Hmmm. So much touching. What's with the touching? Really? No one will want to shake my hands because they've been all over my raiders & Uther only knows where they've been ;) On a serious note, if this can be cast by any paladin, it could be pretty neat. Since melee are all up in my business, it would be pretty useful for me to cast it if the fight has a lot of AoE damage. But I judge Light, would it stack? So many questions. Pretty cool though.

Guardian of Ancient Kings (level 85): Summons a temporary guardian that looks like a winged creature of light armed with a sword. The visual is similar to that of the Resurrection spell used by the paladin in Warcraft III. The guardian has a different effect depending on the talent spec of the paladin. For Holy paladins, the guardian heals the most wounded ally in the area. For Protection paladins, the guardian absorbs some incoming damage. For Retribution paladins, it damages an enemy, similar to the death knight Gargoyle or the Nibelung staff. 3-minute cooldown. 30-second duration (this might vary depending on which guardian appears). /Drools all over herself. This was honestly the last thing that I thought we (the paladin class) would ever get. A PET! Well it's not like a hunter pet or anything but this actually made me *squee* a bit when I read about it. This TOTALLY reminds me of a Final Fantasy Guardian Spirit. I'm really hoping that this makes it in. PS: I found this pic below. I'm not sure where it's from but I Google Searched for Paladin & this came up. That would be a SWEET pet. I believe that the guys would enjoy it a bit. I wish that they would make some girl eye candy for a pet. Paladin Man Pet..... mmmmmmm



Changes to Abilities and Mechanics


•Crusader Strike will be a core ability for all paladins, gained at level 1. We think the paladin leveling experience is hurt by not having an instant attack. Retribution will be getting a new talent in its place that either modifies Crusader Strike or replaces it completely. Well, making leveling a Paladin a bit less suck is ok in my book. I'm interested in seeing what they give Ret as a bone since they are taking away their "Go To" Spell.

•Cleanse is being rebalanced to work with the new dispel system. It will dispel defensive magic (debuffs on friendly targets), diseases, and poisons. Kinda sucks for Ret & Prot in pvp but I feel like sometimes if I have a run in with a few casters, I'm so DoTed up anyways I can't do much more than Spam my Cleanse button and Flee. There were a few cases where I used my clease to help the healers out a bit (Heigan & Rotface come to mind) I guess they wont be getting our help anymore :( Sorry healers but you'll have to cleanse my Green sick now.

•Blessing of Might will provide the benefit of Wisdom as well. If you have two paladins in your group, one will do Kings on everyone and the other will do Might on everyone. There should be much less need, and ideally no need, to provide specific buffs to specific classes. Paladin's Rejoice! My Pallypower responsibilities are slowly faiding away into nothingness. /dance

•Holy Shock will be a core healing spell available to all paladins. So you're telling me that I could potentally Holy Shock Pull? Sweet!


New Talents and Talent Changes


•We want to ease off the defensive capabilities of Retribution and Holy paladins slightly. We think the powerful paladin defenses have been one of the things holding Retribution paladins back, especially in Arenas. One change we’re considering is lowering Divine Shield’s duration by a couple of seconds. Having said that, Retribution does pretty well in Battlegrounds, and Battlegrounds will be a much bigger focus in Cataclysm since they can provide the best PvP rewards. Furthermore, the healing environment of Cataclysm is going to be different such that a paladin may not be able to fully heal themselves during the duration of Divine Shield to begin with, so this may not be a problem. As long as I can hearth out in the time that Divine Shield lasts, I'm ok with it ;) Blizzard, if you ruin Bubble Hearth, I'll cry. For the rest of this comment though, I'm quite confused about the statement "We think the powerful paladin defenses have been one of the things holding Retribution paladins back." Holding them back from what exactly? Death? Well Duh! No but seriously think about that statement for just a moment, what was Blizzard holding back from Retribution Paladins because of Defensive Cooldowns? This is the ultimate question. I guess we'll be finding out in Cata.

•We feel Retribution paladins need one more mechanic which involves some risk of the player pushing the wrong button, making the rotation a bit less forgiving. In addition, we want to add to this spec more PvP utility. Right now the successes of the Retribution paladin in PvP seem to be reduced to either doing decent burst damage, or just being good at staying alive. I know very little about Ret and even less about Ret PvP so I really can't make any useful or insightful statements about this topic.

•We want to increase the duration of Sacred Shield to 30 minutes and keep the limit to one target. The intention is that the paladin can use it on their main healing target. That said, we would like to improve the Holy paladin toolbox and niche so that they don’t feel quite like the obvious choice for tank healing while perceived as a weak group healer. Making Paladin healers happy makes me happy :)

•We want to add to the Holy tree a nice big heal to correspond with Greater Heal. Flash of Light remains the expensive, fast heal and Holy Light is the go-to heal that has average efficiency and throughput. Beacon of Light will be changed to work with Flash of Light. We like the ability, but want paladins to use it intelligently and not be constantly healing for twice as much. >.> are we seeing a trend here? Holy Paladin's are getting a MAJOR revamp. Spreading their niche a bit wider from only being tank healers to being able to assist with raid healing a bit. I've never played Holy but I can only imagine the frustration.

•Holy paladins will use spirit as their mana regeneration stat. Like everyone else.

•Protection paladins need a different rotation between single-target and multi-target tanking. Likewise, we're looking to add the necessity to use an additional cooldown in each rotation. Well, I sort of use a different rotation with AoE verse single target. It becomes more of a FCFS (First come, First Serve for those of you not into the Lingo) instead of the 696 rotation. I favor Avenger's Shield, Consecrate, Holy Wrath (when it's a big ol' pile of undead), Hammer of the Righteous, while not relying on Shield of the Righteous nearly as much with AoE packs. If it's a lot of little mobs (Onyxia whelps) I'll even switch to Retribution Aura to help out with Threat from all angles. Single target mobs & bosses I go balls to the walls 696 for the best treat possible. I mean, if they want to give me more AoE only options, I'm fine with that but I believe we have enough as it stands right now. It's not just Consecrate like everyone believes.

•Holy Shield will no longer have charges. It will be designed to improve block chance while active, and will continue to provide a small amount of damage and threat. I SO called this. I knew when they spoke about the Block changes that this would get revamped as well. They mentioned that they are going to make it so that Block mitigates 30% of the incoming damage (ridding ourselves of Block Value) but lessen Block Rating (aka the amount of times one Blocks an incoming attack) So taking the 8 Charges that Holy Shield previously had allows for them to tweak this spell as to how often Paladins will block by just saying "improve block chances". It will no longer be 100% chance anymore but an "improved chance" What ever the hell that means.

Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonuses


Holy


•Healing
•Meditation
•Critical Healing Effect


Meditation: This is the spirit-to-mana conversion that the priest, druid, and shaman healers also share.


Critical Healing Effect: When the paladin gets a crit on a heal, it will heal for more. Again, I know that I don't understand anything about Holy Paladins but doesn't that last line make you giggle? "When the paladin gets a crit on a heal, it will heal for more" Well DUH! Doesn't that really define what a Crit is? I know I know, it actually means that if they Crit a heal, it will heal for the critical amount and then some. Blah Blah Blah. Still though, it sounds goofy.

Protection


•Damage Reduction
•Vengeance
•Block Amount


Vengeance: This is the damage-received-to-attack-power conversion that all tanks share.


Block Amount: We want to keep the kit of the paladin as a tank who blocks a lot. So by contrast, the warrior tank will sometimes get critical blocks, but the paladin will absorb more damage with normal blocks. Ok, let me paint you a picture of what I see when I read this whole Vengeance thing:


Two Kids are on the playground. Kid (A) runs up to kid (B) and slightly punches the kid (B) in the arm. Kid (B) turns around and hits kid (A) a bit harder. Kid (A) gets upset because Kid (B) hit him, so Kid (A) hits Kid (B) Even harder than before. This escalates into both children beating the crap out of eachother and crying.

Lucky for us though, Mobs don't hit harder the harder you hit them. So this throws this analogy right out the window of the Gunship. What I do see though is that the higher up in raiding you are, the mobs hit you harder. Thus, scaling the tanks AP back onto the mob/ Boss. The harder he hits, the higher your threat. This solves the threat problem that many are seeing at high end raiding. Very neat solution to the problem.

Retribution


•Melee Damage
•Melee Critical Damage
•Holy Damage

Holy Damage: Any attack that does Holy damage will have its damage increased. More Damage... yay.

::::: Confetti:::::

So there you have it Folks. Finally our changes have been anounced. Overall, I'm pretty excited about the direction they are taking Protection Paladins. I've always had a facination for Block as a tank and Blizzard has now just set my passion into stone.

<3 Fuu

5 comments:

  1. I went through these same feelings when Wrath was previewed and that's the intial feelings of happiness for some new changes and absolute anger at other changes. However, all those feelings were basically wasted, because even after wrath came out, paladins kept getting changed. This is the nature of paladins and really, all hybrid classes. So, I will say that alot of these new changes make me grin from ear to ear...however, I won't get my hopes up for anything. They are showing us A,B, and C...what we will probably end up with is D, E, and F :).

    Other than that, nice thoughts!

    Note: Vengeance sounds pretty well thought out and that one alone seems determined to make the cut (mostly due to it being a global change not a class change).

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Godfathre

    I totally agree that what is shown to use is the A,B,C's of it all and we'll most likely get the D,E,F portion but really, it's nice to see what direction they would like for us to head in.

    First when I heard "Paladins are probably too good at AoE tanking" made me weak in the knees. Well you designed up this way you goobers ... now you're telling me you did your job? Well great :P

    Thanks for the comments!

    <3 Fuu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, looks like im staying holy. I'd love to be a raid healer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Karebear

    Yeah, Holy is really getting a makeover with this expansion. I think that they really want to make Holy Paladins like melee healers and stand in where the mess actually happens rather than in the back with the "Sissy Robe Wearing Club". Holy are getting a bunch of near Conic Heals & AoE/HoT stuff too.

    Holy is really going to be neat to watch when Cataclysm comes closer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay pallys, hope they will sill own...

    ReplyDelete