Tuesday, December 8, 2009

3.3 Paladin (Protection Emphasis) Changes

Paladins should be excited about this patch because... BLIZZARD IS LEAVING US THE HELL A LONE.

Well, for the most part that is.

From the General Class Notes:

*Taunt Diminishing Returns: We’ve revised the system for diminishing returns on Taunt so that creatures do not become immune to Taunt until after 5 Taunts have landed. The duration of the Taunt effect will be reduced by 35% instead of 50% for each taunt landed. In addition, most creatures in the world will not be affected by Taunt diminishing returns at all. Creatures will only have Taunt diminishing returns if they have been specifically flagged for that behavior based on the design of a given encounter. (There are only a handful of Boss fights where aggro drops are in play, I don't believe that this would really effect anything that tanks do normally. No worries here unless someone tells me otherwise)

Paladins

*Divine Intervention: This ability now also removes Exhaustion or Sated from a target if the recipient is out of combat when the effect ends. In addition, the cooldown on this ability has been reduced from 20 minutes to 10 minutes. Cannot be used in Arenas. (Well, I enjoy that it's only 10 minutes down from 20 because I can use it to save myself from repairs ;) - buff)
*Flash of Light: This spell no longer causes a heal-over-time effect unless the player has the Infusion of Light talent. (Well, poo. I rather enjoyed this for Northrend Beasts because when I was in between fights, I could cast Sacred Shield on myself & one FoL to help with the excess damage I was taking from any debuffs that I might have. Stupid Holy Paladin's having all of the fun- Nerf for Ret & Prot)
*Lay on Hands: This ability will place Forbearance on the paladin if used on his or herself. It will not place Forbearance on others. (Total Nerf! This sucks for Protection Tanks. Forbearance can go to hell! Seriously, I'm sure that Blizzard has no Flippin clue on what spells they want to generate this Debuff and the duration of it. Get your shit together blizz, this is getting quite old.)

Talents

Holy (I'm not going into these because I don't heal but I'll keep them pasted here for those of you who care)

*Aura Mastery: This effect of this talent has been reduced in duration to 6 seconds.
*Infusion of Light: This talent now causes the paladin’s Flash of Light spells to heal the target for 50/100% of the Flash of Light healing amount over 12 seconds.

Protection

*Divine Guardian: This talent no longer increases the amount of damage transferred to the paladin from Divine Sacrifice. Instead it causes all raid and party members to take 10/20% reduced damage while Divine Sacrifice is active. In addition, the duration has been changed to 6 seconds, however the effect does not terminate when Divine Sacrifice is removed before its full duration. (Ok, I'm actually really excited about this change. This allows for Any Paladin to spec into it and create a 10/20% Raid wide shield wall. Who wouldn't love that? In my eyes this is a total buff for a MT Protection Paladin. I'm going to Spec into this & give it a whirl)
*Divine Sacrifice: Redesigned. The effect of Divine Sacrifice is now party-only and the maximum damage which can be transferred is now limited to 40% of the paladin’s health multiplied by the number of party members. In addition, the bug which allowed Divine Sacrifice to sometimes persist despite reaching its maximum damage has been fixed. Divine Sacrifice will now cancel as soon as its maximum damage value is exceeded in all cases. Finally, Damage which reduces the paladin’s health below 20% now cancels the effect early. (Very interested in this change. It is a nerf since it now only effects the paladin's party members but listen to this:

My Protection Paladin runs around 41,000 health. Let's say I'm in a group of 5 with healers & tanks. 40% of 41,000 health = 16,400. If I multiply that by the number of members (5) I'm able to absorb 82,000 health. That is ABSOLUTELY nothing to sneeze at! If I were to do this, I would be using my 50% Shield wall while tanking, we would cut that 82,000 incoming damage in half back to 41,000. 41,000 Damage is still quite a bit of damage to be taking aka ALL OF MY HEALTH POOL. I really like that there is a safety valve on this though that it cuts off if the paladin's health drops below 20% (roughly 8,200 health) very nice if you bite off more than you & your healers can chew. Again, we'll see how this pans out.)


Retribution (Again, I'm not going to talk about this because I don't ever really play ret but it's here for your reading pleasure)

*Repentance: This crowd control effect will no longer break early from the damage done by Righteous Vengeance.

Racial Abilities

*Every Man for Himself: Disconnecting while rooted will no longer sometimes trigger this ability. (Obviously this is for Humans only but I just had to put this in here because the wording is by far the most confusing thing I've read thus far. Just read the change out loud & have yourself a confused laugh. I think that it was a glitch when someone was disconnecting from the server while Rooted and when they got back into the game, the Ability was triggered? I think that's correct?)

Bug Fix

*Hand of Reckoning: Tooltip clarified to indicate taunt immune targets will not take damage from this ability. (This really makes me concerned because this is my back up for if my Avengers Shield misses & I need to get the boss on me & not eat the healer. I know that there are a few bosses that cannot be taunted so maybe I should start looking further into my Hit rating)

That's pretty much it for Paladin changes. There are tons of really neat little things in the game that have changed and added. Personally, I'm looking forward to the new Fishing Tournament in Northrend. If you are interested in the full patch notes, look at Ful's post where you can find the link or go to MMO-Champion)

<3 Fuu

3 comments:

  1. I noticed when I logged in today, that my prot paladin is missing about 1100hp. I logged out last night @ 36,142 and logged in today with 35,024. No gear changes, no gem changes, no buffs. Was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anon

    I honestly couldn't tell you. My outfitter has been acting up a lot & switching gear out older gear that I had. I've been having a heck of a time trying to get it to keep my upgrades where they should be. I would really check and make sure that your outfitter isn't swapping in outdated gear.

    just my two copper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anon again...

    WoW, ok I need to Read MMO-Champion before I respond. Apparently they nerfed us in the middle of the night.

    Notes from MMO-Champion:
    Paladin:
    * Sacred Duty now provides 2 / 4% Stamina, down from 4 / 8% Stamina. The cooldown advantages of the talent remain unchanged.

    So, yes, there's your answer. You did lose that health because Blizzard took it away :P

    Ignore my previous statement.

    ReplyDelete