Monday, December 28, 2009

See You Guys On The Flip Side

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go... and while I'm not leaving on a jet plane, there will be a lot of hours logged on the inside of a car.  Married Christmas is a lot more difficult than Normal Christmas, on account of necessitating two extended stays with two extended families.  It has often been said that family is both a blessing and a curse, and at no time is this more true than around the holidays.  Sure you picked up your mother's genetic disposition for binge cookie eating, but that doesn't mean you want to make your oddity even more apparent by shoveling snickerdoodles down next to her. 

I love my family, don't get me wrong, but I think most people would agree that Christmas visits are often a double edged Blade of Truth.  Especially when you no longer possess a WoW-capable laptop and there isn't going to be a WoW-capable workstation provided at your destination.  Basically, for us it means that we spend the duration of the visit mostly unplugged.  We'll watch some football.  Eat lots of good food and just generally share good cheer.  There will be awkward moments and I'm sure someone will lose their temper.  That's how these things go, am I right?  Come to think of it, isn't it a little similar to what we experience in guilds?  For "just being a game", WoW bears a remarkable amount of similarities to Real Life.  But tell that to my mother.

My point to all this is two fold.  The first one is a rather deep thought: does gaming make one less inclined to travel?  Is it just me, or does everyone else around here semi-dread any looming trip.  It's not all bad, I mean I still get excited about exotic vacations and relaxing resorts.  It's just that... I have to steel myself because I know I will be sans computer for most of these.  Sure I could invest in a laptop, but hotel wireless is often horrible, and when you're with family, perching in the living room with cartoons beating on each other is sometimes frowned upon.  Unless your one of those lucky people who have converted their parents.  Kudos to you I say.  My mother, on the other hand, is hopeless.  I'm still trying to get her to type with two hands.  Still, she makes a mean snickerdoodle.  And I'm not going to trade a delicious holiday treat for purpled fingers. 

The second point here is that I'll be rather scarce for the next four days.  We plan to return late on Friday, so regular posting will resume the following Monday unless inspiration strikes me or Cataclysm becomes the next Christmas Miracle.  Or I guess it would be New Years miracle at this point.  Sort of like waking up and actually remembering the ball drop from the night before.

So yeah, I'm off for a bit.  I hope you've been enjoying your holiday so far and have a wonderful New Years celebration.  If you're in the Chicago area, that's where we'll be when the ball drops.  Somewhere in the large, windy city.  At this point, I'm not even sure what hotel we're staying at.  I suppose I should print that email before we leave, because who knows the status of the old familial unit?  Oh, and I'll want to back my computer tools that, you know, we all have a plethora of, being dubbed the Familial Tech Person.  Playing Video Games is apparently code for I-Can-Haz-Mad-Computer-Skillz.  In all fairness, I'm often able fix many of the simple, muggle computer problems.

No, Mom.  The USB cable doesn't go in the PS/2 port.  I know that's where your keyboard plugged in before, but this is a new one.  Trust me, it'll work just fine.  (To which she probably responds something like: I don't even care, just get it to work). 

Let's end this little randomriffic foray of holiday musings shall we?  Here's a great article from Nibs over at the MC that discusses whether to use CoA or CotE.  It's a point I've often wondered about and has certainly been in a state of flux what with all the small buff changes going around.  I never know who stacks with what and in what situation the third moon from Jupiter aligns to give us a bonus crit percentage.  It's all numbers to me, but Nibs, as usual, does a wonderful job of breaking it down and keeping us informed.

I, for one, took her advice and started using CotE when not in a group with an unholy DK or a crit chicken.  I actually did a bit of raid testing on this as well.  We were doing attempts on Lady Deathhag last night and I was on mana shield burn duty.  Thus I pretty much stood still and casted my sharded soul out.  An ideal situation to test CoA vs CotE, thought I.  CotE definitely won with numbers mirroring Nibs own dummy tests.  On my own, in raid, I was seeing on average a couple hundred more DPS with CotE than with running CoA.  So I will now be using CotE most of the time.  What's not to like?  It increases our DPS and is easier to keep up.  It also doesn't seem to hurt our Drain Soul ticks at the 25% mark any, so that's an added bonus.

So there's a tidbit of warlocky goodness to savor for the duration of this week.  Try it out, see what you think.  I may or may not be able to respond to comments (depending on the home connection), so feel free to leave 'em but don't be sad if I don't get back to you right away.

And having a Rockin' New Years.

1 comment:

  1. Double edged sword, indeed.

    Honestly, for me some of the dread that comes before heading off for an MFG (massive family gathering) has little to do with being unplugged. It's more about the clash of personalities, dynamics, and other stuff I know I will encounter.

    That's always been the case for me... like.. for as long as I can remember.

    And now, with being married, there's even more gatherings per year to attend. Of course, my family is the farthest away and we just about always are cursed with some form of nasty winter weather during those 3hour (one way) trips.

    Be safe, have fun, blahblahblah ;P

    ReplyDelete