Thursday, August 18, 2011

Writing Contest? I need your help!

Tanking! And threat! And MOAR TANKING!

Okay, that's all I'm going to say about that.  Shows you how much I care about the recent change that seems to be on the tips of everyone's fingers.  I don't really play a tank, and I've never really had a problem moderating my own threat so as not to get myself killed.  Admittedly, I don't go back and run dungeons with PuGs at a high level of gear.  I generally have a well-geared tanking familiar with me (my wife).  Fuu might have some opinions about this... maybe I'll prod her to come back and write.  I know y'all miss her.

No, what I want to mention today is the Writing Contest that Blizzard announced.  I have an admission to make.  I've never entered a writing contest before.  I can't really say why.  Most of it is probably due to laziness.  Also a lack of confidence in my own work.  I've never thought of myself as award-winning.  I just like telling stories.  I'm no Hemingway.

Yet, a lot of you have given me strongly positive feedback.  It's been great for those black days many writers have (wherein all that is, was, and can be... is crap).  It's gotten me thinking: maybe I should be considering the contest.  If nothing else, it could be fun.

As I was contemplating what I might write, or what I might possibly be able to submit, I began to despair again.  I have 112 marked IC Friday posts, and I lovehate them all.  Yes, lovehate is a word.  I think it's the closest a Warlock gets to true love.

In any case, I figured I'd turn to you, fair readers.  Has anything I've written in the WoW universe stuck out to you?  Would it make a good submission?  Now, the word guideline calls for 2500 - 7500 words.  My single posts are nowhere near that.  Thus, we'd be looking for a string of maybe 5 posts that told a neat story.

So, I figured I'd make you guys a deal.  You pick the posts, and I'll do whatever else needs to be done to pretty them up and submit them to Blizz.  If we win, we'll throw a cake party or something.  If no-one one comes up with anything, that's fine too.  I'm not sure what I write translates well to contests anyhoo.  Entertaining? Yes.  Hemingway?  No.  No biggy.

I just wanted to put this out there for kicks and giggles.

4 comments:

  1. I think you should do the story leading up to the killing of the lich king.

    It incorporates several of your characters at once AND has a very chilling end scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that's a good idea. I'll have to see if I can find a frame around that time that'll get me in the word count ballpark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always flesh out the story a bit too if you find you are under the word count.

    ReplyDelete