Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Shiny New Buff

As reported by Saresa over at Destructive Reach:

The famous ‘crabby blue’ has heard the wave of tears coming, and decided to address it before Blizzard get washed away by it all.

"We have finished a fairly comprehensive look at the dps of various classes and specs and are concerned that warlock dps isn’t quite where it should be. It’s not abysmal by any means, but we think it should be a little higher. To give warlocks a little extra nudge in PvP, we increased Soul Link up to 20% from 15%. You may already have this change. In PvE, overall, we just think a lot of classes benefited from getting the warlock buffs a little more than the locks benefited from getting everyone else’s buffs. So we decided to just buff lock damage across the board (which will also help in PvP somewhat). Rather than change damage and coefficients of a lot of different ranks of spells, we just inflated talents that we were almost certain you’d already have. Shadow Mastery, Demonic Tactics and Emberstorm were all increased by 1% per rank for 5% total. Let us know how that feels. The changes should go live before Nov 13."

Yay Blizz! And Danke Sehr!

This will make putting proper points into Shadow Mastery all that much more important for Aff'locks.

I had already done a slight bit of testing on the IF dummies. According to maxDPS, I should be outputting around 1100 DPS. We all know, that sort of optimal play just doesn't happen. However, with the cast rotation I mentioned, I pounded on that dummy while watching my recount. I saw my DPS peak at around 1000, so that's pretty darned good. All in all, I've seen about 100 increased DPS during raids since the patch (and have not had any significant gear upgrades). I'm certainly not efficient with the new rotation yet, but I've gotten more comfortable after repeatedly beheading the Headless Horseman, and think that's a pretty decent and adaptable rotation. This new buff business will only add to that.

/evilcackle

2 comments:

  1. Affliction is hard to manage right now with Haunt still being on a 10 second cooldown. The extra time you spend having to keep it up starts to eat in to your DPS the longer the fight goes.

    I peaked at about 1250 as Aff but hit about 1600+ as Destruction. The main difference is that my mana was drained as Destruction much much faster so its a give and take thing. I'm still hoping I can find that niche' with Demonology which still seems clunky to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, aren't they going to decrease it to 8 seconds? That should help. I wasn't sure if they'd done that yet, guess next patch. I'm sure I read that somewhere though and almost put it in my post, but didn't want to speculate too much or look dumb :-).

    I think destro will always have an edge at a certain gear level (say >T4) because you can really work on your auxillary stats like Crit at that point, which adds a lot of DPS to Destro.

    My hope is that I force the destro locks to play at the top of their game or risk being beaten by a lowly aff'lock on the damage charts :-). Friendly competition between badasses never hurts anyone.

    ReplyDelete