Monday, October 20, 2008

Control Piece of...

If you have raided Kara recently, this probably means you've done the "new and improved" chess event. First of all, its been said before, but how can something be both new AND improved? I mean, if its new, its never been done before and therefore cannot be improved. I realize that is not original schtick up there, but it is a question that comes to mind anytime I find myself describing something as "new and improved".

ANYWAYS, if you've played chess, chances are you've beat it or died once. If you've done either of these things you may have encountered a freaky state of character stasis in the form of an apparently irremovable "buff" labelled "Control Piece". I'm not exactly sure what causes this, but other guildies and myself have experienced this sticky state.

It has been conjectured that a custom UI such as X-Perl (which I use and love) can cause this seemingly "unclickable" debuff.

While doing some research on this problem (after trying such "normal" solutions as throwing my keyboard, refreshing my beer, and, finally, reloading the game), I came across this little gem on some forum I was reading:

"To get rid of that Chess “buff” with a custom UI type: /cancelaura Control Piece "

Would have been nice to know YESTERDAY.

/deep breath 10, 9, 8....

I haven't had the opportunity to try this and verify that it works, but it makes a certain amount of sense. I'm sure there is a macro command for removing a buff that has NOTHING to do with your custom UI, and thus will bypass the problem. Next time this unwanted affliction strikes me, I will give it a shot, but I wanted to get it out there in case any of y'all are having the same fits I was.

EDIT: I was able to try this out on another buff (a costume buff) that seemed stuck with my UI as well. It worked very nicely (or I'd have been stuck as a bat when they wanted me to preform my civic duty and summon someone from the abyss). Bascially /cancelaura [Insert Aura Name Here] should work if your addon is giving you fits.

2 comments:

  1. Next time I'm in Kara, I'll probably have to jump back here to figure it out. But at least I won't be stuck there forever. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just make sure I'm with you, my furry friend, and we'll have no problems :-)

    ReplyDelete