Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Patch 4.0.6 Warlock Patch Notes

I'm going to try to do something different and two different posts, one with the DK patch notes and one with the Warlock patch notes. I'll try to convince Fuu to do the Pally notes too. Then I'll probably also do a miscellaneous post as well. That's potentially four posts in one day, which is crazy I know, but I think it'll make things easier to read. For instance, if you only want to see the DK stuff, you can skip this article and go to the next one, and so on. We'll see how it goes and feel free to give me feedback on whether you like or hate this approach.

With that said, let's go directly to the Warlock notes. I'll add my own commentary in italics, but the meat of this post is poached from the full notes that I nabbed from the Zam feed. Big fan of that one since they RSS it out in full, unlike other news outlets.

Warlocks

  • Curse of Exhaustion now reduces movement speed by 30%, down from 50%. Its range has been increased to 40 yards, up from 30. - I'm not using this, so doesn't matter to me
  • Demon Armor and Fel Armor no longer cost mana and last until canceled. - Wahoo! No more refresh (who cares about the mana).
  • Devour (Felhunter) cooldown has been increased to 20 seconds, up from 8. Devour is no longer able to be auto-cast. - Pup nerf... I heard this was coming. Its time to go back to the Succy anyways.
  • Drain Mana has been removed from the game. - Dumb, but expected.
  • Fear now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds. - Is this up or down? I don't really PvP on my 'lock enough to notice.
  • Fel Armor has been redesigned. It now surrounds the caster with fel energy, increasing spell power and causing the warlock to be healed for 3% of any single-target spell damage he or she deals. - Awesome. I think we were all worried about how this change would flesh out with the initial proposed mana crap. Love this change, feels more warlocky even though it might be a bit of a nerf (straight healing to percentage based... hard to crunch the numbers off hand).
  • Seduction (Succubus) now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds. - See fear change above.
  • Talent Specializations
    • Affliction
      • Soul Swap can no longer be dispelled (the aura given to the warlock between swapping). - To me, this is almost a "bug fix" but good all the same.
      • Unstable Affliction's silence effect has been reduced to 4 seconds, down from 5. - Small nerf... meh.
    • Demonology
      • Demonic Aegis now increases the healing effect of Fel Armor by 50/100%. - This is cool, makes the talent a bit more fun. Can't say whether it's a buff/nerf though.
      • Demonic Rebirth now highlights summoning spells when active. - From my limited play as demo, this is really nice. I'd always forgotten I had this ability.
      • Demon Soul: Imp redesigned. It now increases the critical strike chance of all non instant cast Destruction spells by 30%, rather than increasing critical strike damage. Duration reduced to 20 seconds. - Don't care. I'm not Destro.
      • Felstorm (Felguard) damage has been reduced by 20%. - Boo, nerf. Felguard was pretty much a beast in PvP though.
      • Immolation Aura damage has been reduced by roughly 30%. - Boo, nerf.
      • Inferno no longer increases the radius of Hellfire, but instead increases the duration of Immolate by 6 seconds in addition to its existing effect. - This should help with some of the challenge with getting your Hand of Guldan off... effectively giving you a larger window.
      • Master Demonologist (Mastery) benefit from mastery increased by approximately 33%. - Struggling to make mastery relevant. Also a very easy way to buff just one tree. Should see more raid parity as a result.
    • Destruction
      • Burning Embers damage has been reduced by 15%.
      • Fiery Apocalypse (Mastery) benefit from mastery increased by approximately 8%.
      • Improved Soul Fire now increases Fire and Shadow damage done by 4/8%, rather than 7/15% spell haste. In addition, this talent has been moved to tier-3 Destruction, switching places with Aftermath. - This will be the cause of much respeccing tonight. I haven't really looked at what I'm going to do yet, but so much for the ISF mechanic for Aff'locks. This will probably result in an across the board nerf.
      • Shadow and Flame can now proc from Incinerate in addition to Shadow Bolt.
  • Warlock Bug Fixes
    • Rank 2 of Backdraft should no longer have charges consumed when casting Immolate.
    • The spell animation for Demon Circle: Summon no longer persists through death.
    • Demon Leap should no longer cause players to pass through the environment at the entrance/exit of Orgrimmar. - lol Wish I would have done this one.
    • Drain Life cast when under the effects of Soulburn no longer has higher damage than the normal version of Drain Life. - Well that sucks if you were trying a drain spec.
    • Empowered Imp can no longer proc if the warlock does not have the talent. - Ha, oops.
    • Hellfire will not proc the Muradin's Spyglass buff without hitting an enemy target.
    • Warlocks with the Jinx talent who have an active Curse of the Elements on a target should no longer be interrupted while eating or drinking. - This is a good thing, though never really been an issue for me.
    • Nether Protection should now proc properly from all associated abilities.
    • Rain of Fire now remains at the same location it was cast at while on a moving transport.
    • Ritual of Summoning should no longer yield graphical issues with the created portal. - Yet still flashes you in a risque manner. :-D
    • Casting Soulburn during the global cooldown of a Soulburn ability, and while under the effects of another self-buff, was sometimes causing Soulburn abilities to be non-functional. This has been corrected. - The wording here makes my head hurt, but okay.
    • The UI fly-out for a warlocks' summoning spells now updates in real time based on the warlock's available mana. - I'd never noticed this issue.
    • The tooltip for the armor value in the Character pane should now be showing the correct amount of armor granted to pets.
    • Glyph Fixes
      • Glyph of Voidwalker's tooltip has been updated to the new pet scaling system.
The Take Home
Warlocks escaped relatively unscathed from this patch. I think the lot of us were worried at some of the early PTR changes, but it's all good in the hood (or cowl). The Fel Armor change seems to be fun, though I can't say what the maths tell us for nerf/buff. The ISF change looks to be a pretty big nerf, but I'm hopeful that it's offset by the combination of the other things they've done here. Aff'locks are definitely going to want to switch to a Succubus if you haven't already and we're going to need to respec since I believe ISF is going to be out of our reach now. I'm hoping that our numbers stay around the same. Demo locks should see a bit of a buff with the mastery change. Check on EJ for updated Demo pawn values soon, mastery may have jumped up a bit in the stat priority. I'll be double checking on this when I get to the guides, but despite some of the AoE nerfs (demo was a bit OP when it came to AoE), I think this patch will increase raid parity as far as numbers go. As for Destro locks, I'm not the expert there, but it looks to me like they're going to be in about the same boat as Affliction, though they don't really lose ISF. Like I said, my guess is that all specs will be raiding at pretty close to the same DPS.

I'll be updating specs and guides as the week progresses, so stay tuned. Also, this is just my first glance, gut reactions here. I encourage anyone to comment on things I may have misunderstood or misread... discussion is always good. Otherwise, if they didn't refund my talents... meet y'all at the trainer tonight for a respec! :-)

11 comments:

  1. Here's one I didn't see until later:

    The PvE warlock 4-piece set bonus (Fel Spark) now increases the damage done by the next 2 Fel Flame spells by 300%, rather than increasing the critical effect chance of one by 100%.

    This could make FF really worthwhile. I'd love to see how the maths play out. I'm a long way from any 4p bonuses yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, I was still running with the Felpup and not using the ISF buff that was suggested by EJs. I was doing just about the same damage as I was using either spec, so I stuck with the one I knew and loved. Sure, I may not pull 14K on Omnotron or anything, but I still do my fair share of damage.

    I'm only going for the pants and shoulders for the set, I'm not interested in any other set, since the set bonuses are really crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devour Magic is NOT the pup's attack, that is simply the ability that would take off a harmful spell/buff/debuff so this isnt a dps nerf.

    I never kept the ISF buff up so I don't think I will that big of a dps loss (if any). I probably will still stick with my puppy though. The straight MP5 given to the healers is worth more than a few hundred dps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, I was just saying it's yet another blow to the pup's usefulness, not necessarily that it's a nerf to DPS (nerf overall). The point is that we should probably go to the Succy because they're farting around with the Felpup, he's already less DPS, and now they're hacking away at his utility.

    Recall that the pup's buff is overwritten by a mage/priest combo. I regularly run with one of each, so the buff is a non-issue for me.

    I'm with both of you in regards to the ISF nerf... it shouldn't affect me personally that much. It's just a matter of where to put the points if ISF is out of reach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we don't run with a mage, so it is still needed in our raids.

    I'll probably have to check with my raid leader and see what he wants for us.

    I am not happy having to use the succi. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used ISF regularly -- as Velidra at Emberstorm put it on Twitter, I'm apparently the only afflic lock out there who liked the mechanic very much.

    I'm pissed. >.>

    (Also, EJ says IMP not succy for afflocks now, because of the Mana Feed demo talent. FUCKING IMP! Blizzard, you FAIL MISERABLY.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Fulguralis the felpup buff Fel Intelligence is actually a mage/paladin combo. Provides mana (part of the mage buff) & mana regen (part of Blessing of Might now).

    PW:Fort (priest) overwrites Blood Pact (imp).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol - yes, you were the THE ONE.

    I don't have a mana feed demo talent... and you can't make me take one, EJ! Srsly, no Imp.

    Did they change the Fel Intelligence buff? It used to be Intellect + Spirit, right? Mages did Intellect and Priests did Spirit if I recall. So did they change it to straight Mana and Mana Regen? Apparently haven't really looked into it recently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think you'll be updating the Demo Primer and the Enchantment list as well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I definitely plan to do that. It may take me some time though since I want to "test drive" each spec before writing about it. Demo obviously is my "off" spec, so it has to wait its turn. I'd like to think I'd get these done by the end of next week, but I've also been really busy so I can't promise.

    I really need to hit up the Enchantment List too. That thing is long overdue. I was holding out for 85 and a bit of raiding... welp, I'm there. Just need to do it now.

    ReplyDelete