Thursday, March 8, 2012

About That Ressurection Scroll...

I don't much care for it. At least the perks. Specifically the "free bump to 80" perk. I guess I can deal with the mount. I don't know. Maybe this is a fail subject to begin with. I mean, I'm not really playing WoW. The only sort of logging in I did was to update my apparently WoW-specific credit card information (even though my Battle.net preferred method is charging to a different card... the old one had expired. Stupid that I have to change it in two places, but that's another tale).

It's sad to say I'm not playing WoW. Does that make me a bad blogger? This is, theoretically, a WoW blog. I've consciously chosen to simply blog about other games here because I'm too lazy to set up a new blog. Plus, I'm not giving up on WoW. I have the Annual Pass. I will be back for MoP. I'll likely be dabbling in Diablo with the rest of you. There is no towel throwing going on here.

I'm just not raiding and BG's have lost my interest. Maybe I've just been on the treadmill too long. I know I'm not the only veteran player that wasn't completely happy with how Cataclysm turned out. But if they released more content tomorrow, I'd definitely jump back in. I don't really see my current hiatus as a hiatus as much as there simply isn't anything for me to do. Emphasis on "me." I'm not saying others can't find joy... just to be clear.

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm a bit predisposed to feel negative toward the Rez Scroll. Here's the thing: there had to be meetings, and thought, and work hours, and what-have-you that went into this package. There are some aspects that are great. Namely the free play time. That's a great idea. My question is: is this really the most effective way to entice lapsed players back?

It does nothing for me. Though, I'm paying anyway, so I'm not really the target. Still, what has pushed me away from the game is a distinct lack of content. It doesn't help that I'm having a blast in Star Wars, but really, in WoW, if you're not raiding or PvP'ing, there wasn't a lot of content. I think they sacrificed some of the side content that was available in previous expansions in the hopes of pushing raid content out more quickly.

Let me expand on "content" too. Obviously, we could point to solo quests and smaller dungeons. Blizz was pretty hit or miss on these additions. But I'm also talking about the improvements to individual classes, the traditional tweaking that goes on. As an Affliction Warlock, there has been absolutely nothing to talk about of note for almost a year now. You could argue that no news is good news, that we are in a good place. You could say that tweaks are only made when things are "bad."

I don't disagree. I really don't have a lot of complaints. It's just that, lack of complaints, lack of changes, makes for lack of blogging. Makes for lack of challenge. Lack of interest. Tweaks, love 'em or hate 'em, are interesting. You know what's not so interesting? Old content rehashed. Once you get passed "what's different," there's just not a whole lot to say.

My whole point here is that I question the efficacy of the Rez Scroll. Wouldn't it be better to improve the game, make it more interesting, than try to re-interest people with outside things, with cheap candies? Again, I'm not the target, having been through most of the current content (except the very end of raiding). But, if they don't get their heads on straight by the time MoP roles around, I could very well be the next target.

10 comments:

  1. Not sure I understand your objection to their implementation of the scroll of resurrection, like you mention it's not targeting you or people of played Cata's content. I think it is bringing back people who left in Wrath, or even people who left after TBC, although there were a few less people who left after TBC then in Wrath. People who wants to try out the Cataclysm content without going through the in-between contents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SoR may not be for you but I can guess who it would be good for. I don't know the breakdown of how players roll toons but I'll wager Blizz keeps an eye on it. Someone like me has a ton of alts, including eight 85s so the SoR wouldn't really work for me if I had left and wanted to come back. A free trip to 80 doesn't do me much good. With the people in my guild I'm an exception to the rule. Most of the players have one level 85 that they play all the time. A few others have two, three tops. I ask them why they don't have alts and the response is almost universally, "I don't want to level one."
    For these sorts of players who have taken a hiatus, this might be the carrot to get them back. They can get that other class they've wanted but haven't rolled and they get it at level 80. Five short levels from the cap. It would be a deal for them because with a minimal amount of effort they'll have an 85 by the time Mists comes out. Instant gratification can be a powerful motivator.
    Blizz is a business and they want to make money. If they've got the background numbers that imply such a thing might work then it makes all the sense in the world to do it. They'll make more money getting a player back with a free trip to 80 then they'll make from the players that don't come back at all.
    If they have the numbers to back it up then it seems like a rational offer for Blizz to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the answer to what both of you are saying is this...

    I'm more concerned with what this move means for the future. If this is one-time thing to get us through to MoP, then I suppose it's good. If its indicative of a future trend, it worries me.

    For instance, if the biggest hurdle to getting back in the game is "I don't want to level," then they should address that. Perhaps the leveling isn't fun.

    All in all, I don't feel very strongly about it, but wanted to weigh in with what I thought was a bit of a unique viewpoint. That is, of a player that is out of content and really looking for more attention paid to some of the "littler" things in the future.

    It's a good point about the numbers, I'm sure they're looking at some major stats (at least one would hope). I wonder what those stats say about people that have exhausted the expansion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To say that levelling isn't really true. With the revamp of the old world, there is so much more to explore and to see. A real breathe of fresh air i feel. i levelled 4 toons in the old world, and i feel the zones just have better flow and do possess a improved storyline.

    I would also say that such marketing maneuvers are slowly becoming the standard in the current game industry as well. Implementing such programs might help increase in a surge of new players which is always good and healthy for a MMO game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about Outlands and Northrend? I've no problem with the areas they paid attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it matters. If you're looking to power level just to get another 85 then you're better off staying in a major city and queuing for instances and battlegrounds. If you're coming back then why not pick up the free level 80 toon and save yourself the time. From what I understand it is about 4 days played time. So the perk really isn't all that huge of one.
    The other complaint I see is that there are going to be a slew of new 80s with no skills. So what? It was like that with Wrath when the tsunami of DKs rolled across Outland. It was comic at first but it sorted itself out in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Instances and BGs *are* a solid alternative.

    I still feel like it's a shoddy band-aid for a deeper problem, but maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly. At the very least, I just really hope they hit a home run with MoP.

    The DK without skills thing never bothered me all that much. Like you said, that'll iron itself out naturally in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that a band-aid is just what it is. A temporary solution. I think the point of it is to carry players into Mists. It is the same sort of thing as the annual pass. I'll bet this can be entirely summed up in the same way: they looked at the numbers and this looked like a good business decision. I doubt it had anything to do with game play.

    I'm somewhat optimistic about Mists for two major reasons.
    1) Monks. I want to play one sight unseen.
    2) LFR for all raids going forward. This is a blessing for an altoholic like me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The point of the new SoR is to bolster subscription numbers before the quarter end so they can show more retention on the next quarterly earnings call. Don't mistake this for anything other than what it is: a "come-back" package to bolster subscriptions. I too have a problem with the incentives they're throwing out there (particularly the level 80 bump). It's a business move. I understand why they're doing it, but it doesn't mean I like it. Seems a tad desperate to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, understanding =/= liking. That's pretty much how I feel. I'm not very bent out of shape, I guess it just doesn't sit comfortably.

    Like TKC said, though... I'm cautiously optimistic about Mists. I think it'll have to be a big expansion for them (and probably easier from the start since they're doing a full new continent).

    ReplyDelete