Wednesday, November 30, 2011

4.3 Guide Updates and a Planetary Album

I finally got my game to load last night. Yeah, I was having that problem where WoW would freeze up on the loading screen. Turns out that FuBar was the culprit. Thanks BBB. I got rid of FuBar and picked up LDB-based Chocolate Bar. It has equivalents of all the plugins I was using, so I got all those set up. And that was pretty much my night.  Boring, I know. 

I did go through my guides.  It had been a while, so I thought it was time.  It's interesting that in previous expansions I basically had to update those with each major patch.  In Cataclysm, classes have remained pretty consistent.  At least, the classes I play, and especially Affliction Warlocks. We've have some buffs/nerfs along the way, but nothing that's really shaken up the playstyle.

There was one update I made that I wanted to highlight.  Over time, my starting rotation has smoothed out a bit different than originally advertised.  I'm pretty happy with where it stands now.  Here's the excerpt:
Above 25% Health, Single Target
Shadowbolt > Haunt > Curse of the Elements > Unstable Affliction > Corruption > (Bane) > Shadowbolt. Spam SB until a refresh of each disease is needed (monitor them individually with a DoT timer. Fortex or Xperl is great for this). Life tap sparingly. You don't have to worry about clipping for anything but BoA, so ideal refresh time is to start casing somewhere in the last two seconds to make sure you don't get any drop off. (4.3 Update - I shuffled things up a little here. I tend to throw my cast time spells in after the first Shadowbolt to account for travel time. Usually by the time UA hits, my S&F is up, which is the goal. Otherwise, the idea hasn't really changed.)
The basic highlight is that I front-loaded cast time spells (despite my earlier aversion to this).  There haven't been a lot of fights where you're moving at the beginning.  Generally, Blizz has allowed us at least time to get set up before throwing "don't stand in this" mechanics out there. 

In SWTOR news (yep, I'm going to start sharing some of that too), MMO Gamer Chick has a great Planetary Album up, revealing photos of each planet.  From a game-design perspective, I have to believe that the SW universe will provide so much more flexibility for designers than any sort of fantasy MMO.  The simple reason?  Want to add a new zone? Open a planet.  Each planet can basically be an island, allowing what I would think would be extremely easy expansion.  I'm excited not only for the launch, but also to see how the game grows and matures.  I think there's a lot of potential there.

Anyway, that's all for today.  I plan to do the new five mans tonight (finally), maybe get some PvP in, we'll see.  I want to check out the new Darkmoon Faire, too.  Oh, and there's still Skryim.  So little time...

No comments:

Post a Comment