Tuesday, November 29, 2011

4.3 Goes Live... Without Any Class Changes For Me

So yeah, 4.3 is going up today.  I thought I had another week.  We didn't get Rags down last night, and I wanted another shot.  Oh well, nothing to stop us from going back.  There aren't a whole lot of Warlock changes, so I'll do a quick aside on Rags.

Is there anything more worthless than an Affliction 'Lock on those adds during the phase change?  That is all.

Hopefully the 4.3 10% buff to Soul Fire will make it instantly get one of those guys to 50% (doubt it).  Then, I may have a chance of killing one on my own.  As it is now, I'm paired up with a bursty melee so he can get it to 50% and then grab another.  I'm the closer.  Kyra Sedgwick is not pleased.

Okay, okay.  Enough whining.  Here are the patchy notes:

Warlocks
  • Shadow Bolt has a new spell effect.
  • Soul Fire now scales with 72.6% of spell power, up from 62.5%.
  • The Voidwalker ability Suffering now works like the hunter pet talent Taunt.
  • Talent Specializations
    • Demonology
      • Master Demonologist now grants a base bonus of 20%18.4% and 2.5%2.3% per mastery, up from 16% and 2% per mastery.
      • Impending Doom is now also activated by Soul Fire.
    • Destruction
      • Fire and Brimstone now increases the damage of Incinerate and Chaos Bolt on Immolated targets by 5/10/15%, up from 2/4/6%.
      • Burning Embers now deals damage equal to 25/50% of Soul Fire and Imp's Firebolt, up from 15/30%.
      • Burning Embers damage cap has been raised.
      • Shadowburn now deals Shadowflame damage, instead of Shadow damage.
      • Improved Soul Fire now lasts 20 sec, up from 15sec.
  • Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a bug that caused Doomguard and Infernal to benefit dramatically more than intended from Demonology Mastery.
Notice anything?  Or rather, a lack of something.  Where are the Affliction notes?  What, there are none?

I suppose that's okay.  I don't have any major complaints right now.  (Except, of course, for the uselessness on Rag's adds described above.  Mechanics like that just suck and I'm not sure I would want them to fix us for it... it might ruin our identity).  Apart from the soul fire buff, and a shiny new shadowbolt visual, we're not really getting anything here.  There's not much to say. 

How about my DK, any better? Let's look:

Death Knights
  • Death Strike now heals the death knight whether or not the attack misses, or is dodged/parried. As a result of this change, Death Strike no longer refunds its rune cost if it fails to hit the target, as the death knight will still receive the healing effect.
  • Blood Presence now provides an armor bonus of 55%, up from 30%.
  • Death Knight pets now properly inherit their master's crit and spell penetration stats.
  • Talent Specializations
    • Blood
      • Blade Barrier has been redesigned. It now passively reduces damage taken.
      • Bone Shield now has 6 charges, up from 4.
      • Veteran of the Third War now reduces the cooldown of Outbreak by 30 seconds.
    • Unholy
      • The gargoyle called by Summon Gargoyle should exclusively use its ranged attack regardless of range to the target.
      • Unholy Might now increases Strength by 25%, up from 20%.
Nope, nothing that's going to really affect my PvP Frost play there  Frost is missing as well.

So boring patch is boring.  At least from a class-I-play standpoint.  I'm looking forward to dorking around with the raid finder, the new five mans, transmogging, void storage, the new faire and those sorts of changes that we knew were coming.  I'll have write more on them when I see how they've actually been implemented though.  Which brings an interesting conflict to light: Skryim or 4.3?  Hmm....

14 comments:

  1. Is there anything more worthless than an Affliction 'Lock on those adds during the phase change?

    Healers. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess, the lack of patch changes just goes to confirm that affliction is already epic. Demo and definitely destruction are in need of some help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TKC - Don't healers have at least some CC? Our Pally could stun I think. Sure they may not damage well, but they can delay enough for some of the burstier folks to help out... I can't even do that!

    @Elk - That's a good way to take it :-). While it makes for poor writing here at the blog, I'm not going to complain about not having to relearn anything. I'm generally happy with the feel of my 'lock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually even affliction can kill a Sons of Flame (Son) or two but you will need help. I usually go Affliction because it has better dps then Destro (prior to 4.3) on Rag. The key is to get someone with a stun to help you when the Son spawns. Throw up your UA, Corr, and BoA then either pop Demon Soul and Drain Life or start Shadowbolting (you can also use these opportunity to refill your shards as they are dying). You will want to be put on a Son that is away from the Hammer but if you get help with a stun you can even pick up the Son that is two spots away from the Hammer, just a bit nervy in those situation... everything must line up for good burst or explosion happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, sure... but you need help. That's what we're doing now. I HATE asking for help. I mean, I'm *uber* deeps, why should I need help killing a piddly flame thingy. Ugh.

    That is what we do now and it works fine. As long as someone else slows them, I can spread Corruption around and make them all fall faster, or just focus on one or two.

    It's just hard when there are 8 and most RL's will want to say "everyone take one." They expect Tanks or Healers to need help, but not DPS. And if you have two tanks, three healers, and 8 adds... you almost need each DPS helping on one other add and I can't even take care of my own!

    It just requires being a bit more clever, which is fine, I just think mechanics like this are stupid. It's borderline twitchy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose my disc priest could psychic scream. Other than that I just pick one and throw a few spells at it.

    My resto druid hasn't gotten that far but I suppose he could root one to keep it from getting to the hammer and exploding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ful - Hehe, I think you can pretty much sum up all of the Cataclysm raids thus far as being "borderline twitchy."

    @TKC - Only abilities that stuns the target will work on Sons of flames, no other effects (no fear, no root, no daze).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I know root didn't work and I know the Pally stun for sure worked. Our shadow priest had something that slowed, I want to say Mind Sear? You may have to spec into it. It's actually pretty hard to tell what worked, but someone had a nifty list they popped into raid chat... I just noticed none of my junk was on it.

    I think they should just have 5/6 adds... one for each DPS and let the healers and tanks double up where needed.

    And I've not been crazy about a lot of the Cataclysm mechanics... if I want twitchy, I go play a FPS. In my mind, RPGs should be more about strategy. There are a just so many "gotchas" to anything requiring quick reaction time... from abilities to simple latency.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You shouldnt need help on the adds, just make sure you are at the two furthest from you and you'll be fine.

    I handle two all by myself (Aff for life!) with no issue.

    This is what I do:

    I make sure Rag is fully dotted up and soul swap from him on my way to the location where the adds spawn. I hit the closer (to the hammer) add with the exhale. Then I hit the further one with the two instant dots and just spam the crap out of fel fire.

    The key isn't to kill them it is to get them to 50% health. At that point in time they move VERY SLOWLY and the people with the burst near the hammer (you do have the people with burst and stuns there right?) can finish them off if they arent already dead by the time they would get there.

    Usually I can kill the further add pretty quickly and have time to kill the 2nd one well before either one gets close to the hammer. The only time I cut it close is when the hammer is in the middle. Even then they are both moving slow if they are still alive.

    Good luck!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Derp. Soul Swap. I do have that, don't I? I was so focused on the stupid fact that I can't stun or slow or anything useful... I could just, you know, kill.

    I've been able to take care of one far one on my own using the instant/FF spam strat. Problem is, we are spread out, so when they come we're just supposed to grab the one that spawns nearest to us... sometimes the hammer is close and sometimes it's far away. When it is close... I'm pretty helpless, though SS should definitely help.

    (To be far, we divide things more like right and left... so I can choose the furthest on my side. I think we're a bit starved for stuns though with our group make up, so no one wants the close guys.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My raid assigns positions to players so that it is not random about who gets what. For example, we have 2 rogues who are always positioned the closest to where the hammer falls. Each DPS and both the tanks get assigned three possible positions depending on where the hammer falls.

    As a healer I'll usually go after one of the farthest away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be nice if all the adds just conveniently spawned with a number above their heads, automagically assigned by their proximity to the hammer... amirite guys?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see if I can find the drawing one of our raiders made to explain the sons positioning and email it to you.

    Honestly you have TONS of time to move when the adds spawn.

    If you have pallys they can glyph to stun the elementals. If you have a DK you can Death Grip it. This is on top of whatever stuns your tanks have.

    Just start moving when the lights form on the ground. You should be able to be in position by the time the adds spawn in place.

    ReplyDelete