Monday, April 25, 2011

4.1 Patchiness

I'm going to go ahead and assume the patch is hitting today. If not, then I doubt the tidbits I'm going to refer to are going to change all that much, since they're supposedly official. If I end up being completely off? Oh well. I'm past ready for this dang patch to drop anyway, so I figure I can forgive myself for jumping the gun. I'll keep everything together in one post this time, as the notes aren't ridiculously involved. My comments in italics.

Warlocks
  • Dark Intent: The friendly target of this ability now receives 1% (stacking 3 times to 3%) periodic spell damage and healing bonus instead of 3% (stacking 3 times to 9%). The casting Warlock still receives 3% (stacking 3 times to 9%). - Shadowpriests everywhere are crying huge shadowy tears. It's not a huge deal for us, personally.
  • Rain of Fire damage has been increased by 25%. - Yay buff! For the mana cost... it's about time.
  • Seed of Corruption damage has been increased by 20%. - See above.
  • Soulstone can now be used in combat to resurrect a targeted dead player. - Finally! I was horribly sick of my SS being completely useless. We do share a raidwide CD with other b-rezzes now, so be aware of that.
  • Talent Specializations
    • Affliction
      • Haunt damage has been increased by 30%. - Wewt buffage.
      • Shadow Mastery (passive) has been increased to 30%, up from 25%. - Wewt buffage.
      • Unstable Affliction damage done when it is dispelled has been doubled, but this damage can no longer be critical. - Wewt buffage.
    • Demonology
      • Mana Feed now restores more mana (four times as much) when the warlock is using a Felguard or Felhunter. - I may respec to take this and use my Felhunter... testing to follow.
  • Pets
    • Doomguard's damage has been increased by 50%. The Doomguard is intended to be the best guardian for single-target damage, and the Infernal the best when there are multiple targets. - Well, this settles that debate. Though the maths will tell the truth.
    • Lash of Pain (Succubus) damage now scales with level, reducing the damage done at lower levels such that it will deal 50% damage at level 20, and 100% damage at level 80 and above. - Nothing groundbreaking here, except if you're leveling a new 'lock.
    • Shadow Bite (Felhunter) damage and effect has doubled. - Wewt buffage. I never got away from using my pup for personal reasons. I have an inkling the maths may start to back me.
  • Glyphs
    • Glyph of Soul Swap now increases the cooldown of Soul Swap by 15 seconds, up from 10 seconds. - This is going to be a bit of a pain in the ass to get used to. It's hard to use this reliably now with trash. It'll still be useful in most of the same places though, I just may be mashing the button and getting pissed when my character informs me the spell is not ready yet.
Death Knights
  • Dark Simulacrum now works on numerous additional spells in dungeon encounters. - Yes, but which ones... /steeples fingers.
  • Raise Ally has been redesigned to be a battle resurrection, analogous to Rebirth. It is instant cast, but costs 50 Runic Power to use, and has a 10-minute cooldown. It shares the same global battle resurrection cap with Rebirth and Soulstone. - Cool, I went from owning no toons with a brez, to two toons. Yahtzee.
  • Talent Specializations
    • Blood
      • Blood Shield now only works while in Blood Presence.
      • Death Strike self-healing no longer generates threat.
    • Frost
      • Blood of the North (passive) now permanently converts both Blood Runes into Death Runes. There is no longer any proc interaction with Blood Strike required to activate Death Runes. - This is super interesting and I'm anxious to see how it feels. No more Blood Strike?
      • Frost Strike now deals 130% of weapon damage, up from 110%. - Wewt buffage.
      • Howling Blast damage has been increased by 20%. To compensate, the area-of-effect splash now does 50% of the single-target damage, down from 60%. The net result of this change leaves the area-of-effect damage roughly the same as 4.0.6 numbers. In addition, Howling Blast now has a facing requirement. - Wewt? Not Wewt? The facing requirement will be a pain in the ass. I sort of loved being able to AoE slow folks behind me in PvP. I'll have to get better at my jump-turns it seems.
    • Unholy
      • Desecration no longer triggers when an applicable strike hits a snare-immune target. This is primarily to avoid unnecessary spell effect clutter during boss encounters.
      • Rage of Rivendare again applies 15/30/45% additional damage to Plague, Scourge, and Festering Strike, up from 12/24/36%.
  • Glyphs
    • Glyph of Raise Ally is now Glyph of Death Gate, and makes Death Gate cast 60% faster. - Bubble hearth, DK style... or useless.
Miscellaneous
The rate at which Honor Points are earned has been doubled. - Awesome. For more the PvP changes, see the great post from Cynwise here.

Spells bound to a key now start to be cast when the button is pressed down by default, instead of waiting for the key to go up. This is an option that can be turned off in the Interface menu under Combat. Mouse clicking has not changed and operates on mouse click up. - Huge change for those of us that have learned to depress a button in anticipation of casting a spell. I'm not sure which is actually "better." I may try it both with this on and off to see which works best for me. YMMV.

Players now have a much smaller chance of getting a dig site for a race for which they have completed all rare finds. - If, like me, you still need to cap Arch... this is a great change. It also should help people finish off the rares.

To Summarize
There seems to be justification here for my feelings with the last few patches that Affliction had been nerfed a bit. We should see our base damage go up, which is awesome, plus we'll be a bit more effective at AoE. After some of the research comes out, I'll need to update my pet guide at the very least because I suspect the Felpup will be the new go-to. We also may want to take Mana Feed to reduce the need to Life Tap (DPS gain). It may prove to be worth it. Again I'll be digging out in the fora this week to see what I can see.

My beloved Frost spec for my DK seems to have gotten some love too. That was unexpected, but welcome. And, as always, there were a few important miscellaneous changes thrown in to keep things interesting. Our crew can't wait to get started on some of these Guild Challenges as well. Good stuff. There were a lot of dungeon/raid changes that I haven't really waded through yet, plus the addition of the two new 5-mans, but overall this seems to be a pretty solid patch. It's not very big (no new raid content), so I'm hoping they follow up with another major patch in a few months (keeping their word of "smaller, quicker patches"). I guess we'll see.

4 comments:

  1. I can confirm it hit this morning... surprisingly it was only about 400 MB to download, which surprisingly was fast. Two things I was pleasantly surprised with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 400MB, hmm, I only got 100mb this morning. Hopefully not another 300mb waiting for tonight.

    :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. ELK! I'm listening to you speak right now. Random I know. We wanted to be there live but I got sick so we just went to bed. :-(

    ReplyDelete