Monday, April 16, 2012

MoP Beta Thoughts

If you're looking for real thoughts, you probably want to go someplace else. Yes, I got a beta. No, I haven't tried anything out. Why? Probably because I can't get the felling thing to run.

Here's a quick recap of what I did. Got the email. Manually went to my Battle.net account (because you know you can't trust email links, no matter how official they look). Clicked on the appropriate areas to let me download the client. Download started, and I left for work.

When I came home, my computer was stuck on a pre-boot screen. It informed me that Windows could not start because the installation device (my solid state drive) could not be found. I had a mini-flail fest inside of my soul, where I swiftly imagined the worst for my big rig. Fortunately, I just had to do a hard reset, forcing a power off (not the reset button mind you, that just stuck me in a not-working loop), and restarting everything.

After I got to my familiar desktop, my eyes quickly strayed to the shiny, new MoP beta icon. Of its own accord, the mouse traversed the background pixels and clicked on pandas. Pandas have that effect on mice. A notice telling me that "setup files were being updated" popped, and I began to get excited. Surely, my beta adventure was launching.

But it got stuck. I stopped about 75% of the way through, green bar unmoving. I stared, made a sandwich, took a bathroom break, cleaned the kitchen, pet the giant rabbit, took another bathroom break (I was excited, mind you), settled in and out of the chair several times... nothing. No movement. So I did what every rational being would do: I clicked the "x" and went and played SWTOR.

(Okay, maybe only those with a lightsaber fetish would make the same choice.)

(That should get me some interesting search hits.)

Last night, I attempted to uninstall the beta. My plan is to start fresh this evening and give it another (fully attended) try. The uninstall went okay, though it threw some errors about files it couldn't find. Probably the same ones that were preventing me from a pandariffic experience. We'll see.

It's a beta, so I can't be too upset. Still, one does not wish to play tech support to log onto a game and play more tech support (in the form of a beta tester, no matter how fun said tech support may be). I wonder, is this the sort of bug I should report? Or is it likely something so specific to my setup that Blizz wouldn't pay attention? Where does one report bugs when not able to launch even the MoP client?

At the very least, I wanted to relay my experiences in the spirit of full disclosure. Hopefully, if anyone else is experiencing the same frustration, we can band together and start a pandaless support group. If nothing else, this further explains the lack of beta thoughts from this blogger.

8 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Downloading and installing the Beta was a huge pain for me too, but I promise you'll instantly forget all about that when you see the Wandering Isle or Pandaria proper. It's just so gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same issue. I had to uninstall it then re-install it and I finally got it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same happened for me, for some reason it also kept dropping my internet connection. Finally got in made a panda jump about a bit then went back to SWTOR, waiting for my 85s to be copied in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If, by chance, you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7 as your OS, you'll need to make sure that it downloads the beta client into a folder OTHER than Program Files.

    The PF folder typically requires administrative access to write to it, so Windows only lets it get so far before it has a hissyfit and tells you to go perform activities that are otherwise physically impossible.

    Change your destination folder - see if that works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It didn't work for me for the first 'n' amount of times. I kept getting the 21014 error on login. I'd go to the tech support forums, try the various things they had for about a half hour per attempt and never got anywhere. So I finally read a post that says to re-install and the error will go away. I did that Friday night and come Saturday morning I was able to play.
    It was mobbed.
    I played for about an hour and didn't get out of panda newbiedom. I made a human monk but there were no quests available in Northshire. So I killed my way to level 2 (about 5 minutes) and stopped. So I played regular WoW.
    Based on this.
    Panda newbiedom looks, cosmetically, nice.
    The Pandas themselves are very bouncy. So much so I don't think I'll want one when the game goes live. I really do think they are appealing to a younger audience with this race. Just too cuddly for me and I have a bunch of gnome alts. (ever put a gnome DK in imperial plate, the SW guard armor? hi-freakin-larious! but the pandas are too cute)
    The new character creation screen is nice. You get to see on the icon what sort of hair style you're picking or what face you're picking instead of scrolling through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, so apparently I'm not the only one struggling :-).

    Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely try switching installation target and we'll see where I go from there.

    I really have a low patience for install issues, which probably labels me a poor beta tester, but it is what it is. I want to try the game, not ride the bucking computer. I do enough tech support in the Day Job.

    Still, if I can get a chunk of time, it's worth it to try and work through the issues. I do want to check a few things out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. Or maybe beta testing. =)
    Still, it is better to have problems now than with release.

    I should have taken a screenshot of Panda newbiedom. It was a sea of pandas in some places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol

    Looks like the earliest I have a block of time to devote to this is going to be Thursday night. Either way, I'll wear a helmet. :-)

    ReplyDelete