Friday, June 29, 2012

Heart Mind Handshaking Fail

Do you ever have that feeling that your heart and head are out of sync when it comes to gaming? Like, in theory, you really want to play a game, but you just can't bring yourself to log in? What is up with that?

Lately, I just can't get into any button-pressing, fighting games. MMOs, Diablo, they're all falling prey to this. The only games I'm really playing are facebook games. My mind is screaming at me that it's being slowly mushed. Crotchety statements hailing from the era of the black and white television scream through me. Something about boobs and rotting. Completely unpleasant.

Yet, I can't deny my heart. I sit and stare at a log in screen, and my heart flails. Sure, you can log in... but do you really want to?

I don't have a good answer for my heart. Truth is, I don't really want to. But I don't feel like I really want to do anything. Mostly, I'd like to nap. Switch my brain off. Watch some terrible movies.

You might say, "Well, just do that, then."

It's not that simple. My brain likes gaming. A lot more than movies or TV. It's why I go back to the Old Standby games. I'm looking for that feeling I used to feel when those games were new. But you never get that back. We all know that. The new shine always wears off. You can't make a career in gaming based on new shine alone.

(Or can you? But that's a topic for a different post.)

I probably just need to make some new goals. When you have goals, you tend to be more excited about playing. I've just reached a plateau where I've achieved the previous goals, but not set new ones. So I guess the whole point of this article is:

Setting new goals is hard.

4 comments:

  1. I kind of want to log onto WoW, but I know i won't do much (or anything I haven't done 100 times already) so now I'm noodling around with World of Tanks. It's almost like a FPS, but a little different. So I enjoy that.

    Yay different.

    The girlfriend, of course, doesn't like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's like I don't want to commit to another long term goal... and I don't really want to dive deep into something new, either. Hence the old games. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I hear ya. I'm telling myself that it'll change when Mists arrives - maybe even before that, once we have a release date I can probably kick myself into the game again to fish for the bloody Mr Pinchy's Magical Crawdad Box that keeps eluding me and is the only thing between me and the Salty title. But right now... nah. Day after day passes, and I go out, meet friends (which is good), or watch old TV serieses on Netflix (which is idiotic) - although I hate TV, I don't even own one!

    Strange times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sort of just going with it for the time being. I've generally always had group activities to push me through any lulls, but that has been a struggle as of late.

    ReplyDelete