Thursday, February 16, 2012

Wrapping Up ACII: Revelations

I failed to report that I finished Assassin's Creed II: Revelations over the weekend. It's hard for me not to think: "Well, that was short." When you spend 90% of your gaming time in MMO-land, any other game is probably going to feel short (except for the occasional Skyrim). Yet for all the shortness, it was a fun game. I didn't really do a whole lot of side questing, as most of them were essentially the same as the previous iteration. I mean, I've already built back up Rome. Constantinople, while neat, is no Rome.

Bombs are always fun. I'm glad they added them. The hookblade was fun. I wish there were more of the tower defense stages. I think I only did like three of them. Perhaps this was just because I wasn't looking in the right places.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but the ending was solid. Still, I couldn't help but wish for some more information on how the, um, next generation comes to be (if you catch my meaning). What can I say? V-day was on the horizon and I'm a sucked for romance.

I was excited to see an announcement that the next step in the story, Assassin's Creed III, is apparently targeted for an October release. Ubisoft has confirmed that it will release the game this year, even going so far as to throw out an Oct 30th date. That's pretty awesome, and is a perfectly timed announcement for me.

I said before that AC:Rev didn't really blow me away. It was sort of the next in a logical progression, with nothing that was super-exciting, and just basically felt like a sequel. That isn't to say it's a bad thing, but neither was it something I wanted to rave about (a different feeling than some previous iterations).

Knowing what I do about development, I suspect that AC:Rev was sort of the last hurrah before moving onto the new AC:III project. Similar to that last patch in an MMO before an expansion, it tends to be a little short on the content because it is simply tying up loose ends, preparing for the next big release. In that, AC:Rev functioned well. And I think it had enough content to be worth the price tag.

I think this was what Blizzard was trying to do with shorter, faster patches, though I never felt "surprised" that something was coming "so soon." With AC:III, color me surprised... and a bit excited. Now, the two paradigms are different, for sure, so this is not an attempt to compare apples to oranges. I'm merely recounting a difference in feeling from a customer of each type of game.

In any case, I'll be keeping my eye out for the game come October.

(I did find that there is a short film called "Embers" that apparently gives me the resolution I'm after. Though, not having the signature/collector's editions, I suppose I'm going to have to find it elsewhere. I'd be surprised if YouTube doesn't have it.

Also, this brought up another question: Apart from not retaining Kristen Bell, why did Lucy get stabby stabbed in the previous iteration? I feel like that thread sort of got pushed under the rug. Hopefully, that will be revealed in III... but, uh, this was Revelations.*grumble*)

No comments:

Post a Comment