Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Iron Man Mode

You may have seen similar posts from other bloggers out there, but I wanted to put my own post up. Zeke from the Iron Man Mode Blog contacted me, and asked if I would help support their new venture. As someone who is admittedly polygamerous and a fan of the Child's Play Charity, the idea was all Win as far as I was concerned. The skinny is that a group of guys are planning to pick up well known games (and maybe some lesser known games as well) and play as far as they can on only one life. After the die just once, they'll move on to other games, and the blog will move on as well.

The premise is mostly for fun, and the charity element is a great touch, but it also servers as a subtle reminder of our own mortality. Obviously, we don't get more that one life to live (unless you believe in reincarnation or something, but even then you don't get to go back to the last quick save). We should make the most of it.

Anyway, I wanted to pass the link along to help raise awareness. They've got a Twitter account as well as a blog and if you'd like, you can donate through their site. Child's Play is something we've donated to in the past (remember the #iblamesyrana tweets?) and will continue to do so in the future.

When I was little (~10 y/o), I screwed up my knee and had to have surgery. There are two things I remember from my stay at the hospital. The first was all the ice cream I was allowed to eat. The second was that they wheeled in a video game cart and I was allowed to play (when I should have been at school). Now, nothing about my injury was major, but even then, having the chance to play games while laid up in the bed was a great spirit-lifter. In a very simple way, that's what Child's Play is all about. I was lucky to have been at a "gaming" hospital before Child's Play existed. To be able to help spread that today is pretty cool.

So check out the Iron Man Mode Blog if it is something that interests you, and consider supporting their charity effort.

2 comments:

  1. Heya, just throwing a quick notice to as many people as I can... my blog was "legally" acquired (I prefer stolen) by GoDaddy and so I've had to shift back to the entirely free hosting at wordpress. New address is therefore : underct.wordpress.com. I've got no way of contacting my previous readers, so going individually where I can!

    Thanks, see ya!

    ReplyDelete