Friday, October 7, 2011

To Wrap Up The Week

No fiction today, sorry. I've been sick all week, plus work has been busy. Amazing how that happens, right? It's like they wait until I feel like crap to all show up at my desk and want stuff done.  In any case, the day's already flying by and it's not looking like I'm going to have the appropriate time to dedicate to a good bit of fiction.

On that front, though, I'll pass along some news.  I've compiled a short story based on the posts I made for the Fall of the Lich King that we're planning to submit for the Blizzard Fan Fic contest.  It's short at around 3,500 words, but represents some good memories from what I consider the pinnacle of the game.  (Right now, anyway.  I reserve the right to have the future change my judgement, but killing Arthas was truly a great moment in gaming).

It'll be prettied up, and I added a new little bit at the end to tie it all together.  When it gets done, I want to try to offer it around here for your e-reading devices.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go through like Amazon or B&N or any of those places, but at the very least we're going to try to set up a little download mirror that will let you download it for free.  I'll be open to suggestions when we get it up.  We're also working on getting the rest of the fiction in a single, coherent format so you don't have to comb through archives and such around here... making it more of a novella than a collection of posts.  We'll see how it turns out.

Apart from that, I've been thinking about gearing all week, and wanted to wrap up the hot topic with a few last thoughts.  Cynwise wrote a great article today sort of tying things together and hashing out the basics for each gear path.  As he says, there is not really one thing you can point to as a good solution, and each PvE and PvP path has its problems.

My final thought on the whole thing is that, reading Cyn's bullet points, I can't help but feel like the PvP system is better suited for PvE players, and the PvE system would appeal to PvP'ers more.  That sounds crazy, but look at it this way.  If PvP seems more suited for a gradual build-up over time, a steady progression to gearing with periodic resets... isn't that what we want in PvE?  We want to make steady progress, and if stuff resets along the way, that makes the entry barrier to raiding that much shorter.

Then you have PvE, where gear seems to retain its value for longer and the player base gets more stratified (borrowing Cyn's word, a good one) over time.  Aren't those things that appeal to your typical PvP player?  They want to be rewarded for being beating another player, and then to have that reward mean something.  It's almost like Blizz has it backward.

At the same time, though, one has to acknowledge that, to some extent, each of these paths are products of their respective environments.  For instance, how would gear resets work in PvE with each tier?  Or in PvP how could you maintain a stratified player-base without ruining competitiveness?  There's simply no easy solution.  At the end of they day, all we can really say is that they each have their own problems.  And those problems may be more or less annoying depending completely on the person. 

What drives Cyn bonkers, I may take comfort in.  What I can't stand, he sees as a ray of hope.  Yet, we both play Warlocks and love our class/the game enough to blog about it (ad nauseum, for years).  It's really two sides of the same coin. 

2 comments:

  1. They should take a raid like Baradin Hold and make it into something like a PvP raid. Put fights like Faction Champions from ToC in it. Design a raid that PvPers would do. A raid where you would want Resilience. You know, run a flag through a gauntlet of mobs. Stop a flag runner from getting past you. Defend an area. You know, PvP type objectives that PvPers could do in their PvP gear/spec. A raid where you wouldn't need the traditional setup of tanks/heals/dps but rather people who can PvP.

    It seems odd to PvP to open a PvE raid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that's not a bad idea. Sort of takes my whole PvE arena thing and flips it. I like it.

    ReplyDelete