Wednesday, October 26, 2011

QotD: Are You Taking The Year Sub?

There have been some good comments on my initial thoughts post the other day, some of them regarding the "Year Sub" deal Blizz is offering.  Mostly, I've seen folks talking about the motivations behind the deal, what it means, why they're doing it, etc... but not whether or not the writers are going to actually take it.  So I wanted to open it up... irregardless of the reasons behind the deal, are you taking the sub?

I probably will.  I've not interrupted my WoW service for, what, four years now?  What's one more.  And I get a free game to boot.  I wasn't planning to play Diablo (just have never really gotten into the series), but why not?  I've paid my way through content lulls before, so that doesn't really scare me.  I mean, how would it be any worse than any other summer right before an expansion?  Besides, there's still plenty that my guild has left to do.

On the flip side, if I wasn't able to play with all my friends, I might have second thoughts.  I suppose I could analyze it and worry that this means Blizz is going to completely ignore WoW until the xpac comes out, effectively creating the worst lull we've ever weathered.  It could well mean that I'm paying for sub-par customer service.

Let's be honest, though.  Hasn't Blizz always sort of set the standard.  Haven't they been above average consistently?  So even if they were to drop, might it be merely to "average," which is still pretty decent.  I guess my overriding feeling is: How bad could it get?  Seriously.  Toss the ethics or theories aside for a moment.  How bad would it be for you, personally, in your chosen game-play style.

I would wager there are two sorts of folks.  The kind that will cancel and re-sub as they feel the content merits, and the kind that simply pay another monthly bill and don't think of it too much.  I'm more of the latter.  Does this really affect my type of player?  Is it really enough of an enticement for the former type to give up their autonomy?  I wonder how many people it will swing.

Let me know what you think... not about why they're doing this, but rather, if taken on face value, who this is for.  Who will it sway?  Who will it remain unmoved?

17 comments:

  1. Two reasons why I will not be taking the deal. First off I have zero interest in D3. And the other reason is I take time off from the game. Sometimes it's RL related and other times it's because I'm into a different game at the time.

    So locking me into 12 months will actually cause me to pay more. Especailly, when there are sometimes deals for monthly subscription cards at 50% off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this Ful, I've been paying uninterrupted for WoW since I switched over from EQ2 back in 2005 and I see this deal as something that is a win for me.

    For others it might not be that great as it locks them in for a full year and they don't normally play a full year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure it means you're getting a year for like 60 or 70 bucks, plus a mount (which I don't really care about, but it's still something) that's worth about 20 bucks, so really you're paying only about 4 dollars a month for your subscription. Sounds like a deal, even if you go play D3 a lot of that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was planning to get D3 in any case, and I have no intentions of quitting WoW at this time. Should I suddenly decide to quit, I figure that with the year pass I probably still pretty much paid for D3 as long as I play another 6 months from now.

    Beta was a great incentive as well, since I enjoyed the Cataclysm beta, and this means I can be certain to get in on the new one.

    I think the deal works out best for people who were planning on playing anyway, basically giving them a free game (especially if they were intending to buy it), beta access and a mount.

    Maybe some people would be swayed, but I don't know. If you weren't planning on playing D3 and want to have breaks in your sub, I don't think you'd go for the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I have serious doubts as to how many minds it was actually change. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm getting a bonus for what I would have done anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking I should. Chances are I will play through the summer lull because I'm an altoholic. I'd be buying the subscription anyways so why not commit for a year now and get the goodies. I'm going to buy D3 anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for swaying minds it will work. Advertising and deals work. If they didn't you wouldn't have door busters or Black Friday etc.

    People are gullible. Advertisers know this and use it to their advantage. Just look at how many pet rocks were sold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @tkc - That was my thought.

    @Good - I mean, the guy made a million dollars. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you Ful, I've signed up for the subscription. Already have it on a 6mo renewal and wanted to make sure I was on the beta again this year. For that commitment, I get a game I wasn't planning on buying, but would like to play.

    I am hoping that AP subscribers continue to get little perks throughout the year... Heads up on new content, etc.

    Here's to hoping the AP, becomes Blizzard's little secret-handshake, members-only club house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't actually done the deed yet, but I likely will this weekend. I could see them offering perks throughout the year if they get behind on content or whatever as well. I'm sure the stats show that there are a portion of people that are "long haul" gamers, and others that are "come and go" gamers. It's probably good business to give a little perk to the long haul folks. And this doesn't ruin the other option. So we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just signed up this weekend. I know I'm going to keep my subscription up for the next year, so this deal gives me a free D3. I've never played that franchise, although my partner enjoyed it, so maybe I'll check it out. Not sure why Blizzard cares, since there doesnt' seem to be any additional benefit to converting me to D3, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I think they're planning to do some micro-transactions within D3. So, if you're an additional player (like I'll be as well), then they're simply expanding the customer base for that store. Dunno how much it'll pay off, but that's a small benefit right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I didn't know D3 would have micro-transactions. I verified (er, read in the WoW Insider Queue) there will be no subscription, but as a non-D3-player I've been ignoring anything on the interwebz up til now. This is the one with the real-money AH, though, right? OK, so they're hoping I'll expand my financial commitment. That makes sense. Mostly this deal looks revenue-neutral to them, though. Or maybe I'm missing something...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right. I'm not the expert on it either, that's just what I've gleaned from various sources that I've been paying half-attention to as well.

    They also get good press out of it, and a guaranteed revenue stream on the WoW-side. I mean, they would have gotten it anyway, but now they know for sure and stability is always good for a company, I think. So there are some "intangibles" there... really seems to be a win-win, though not a huge deal either way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've already applied game time to my account through July '12 and I plan to keep playing past then, so I have already signed up for the deal! I was going to get Diablo 3 anyway, so free stuff is always good.

    I could see them offering this to try and keep subscription levels more steady. That way they can have a baseline budget set of X number of people subscribed for 12 months. (Though I'm sure there are many other reasons they would do this as well).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm passing on the sub. I'm on a 6-month plan now and expect to keep it for the next year but I don't really want to be in the beta and don't plan on buying D3. The incentives don't ring my bell. I can wait to play pandas until MoP launches and D3 feels very much like past Diablo games. After playing for a while, I don't think it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @And - Sounds like all win for you.

    @Anon - Fair enough. You keep your flexibility, and aren't really missing out on anything you were interested in. No biggy.

    ReplyDelete