Thursday, August 2, 2012

Technically Small World

Matticus is one of those bloggers that has been around seemingly forever. Quite frankly, I'm sort of at the point in my blogging career when I feel that way about anyone who has been around longer than me. Four years is a long time in the blogosphere.

I was pretty thrilled, then, when I got to play League of Legends with him last weekend. Shhhh, don't tell him. Wouldn't want it to go to his head.

Now, Matticus would probably be the first to say he's no celebrity, even in the niche WoW-blogger world. (Maybe he is, I don't know). I didn't geek out on Mumble or anything (I don't think I said a whole lot period). It's not like that.

I grew up with several folks who are now professional athletes. I would consider them family friends. We played on some teams together growing up, maybe hung out several times, but I wouldn't say that I'm close with them.

From a closer-than-average viewpoint, then, I can say that there's a certain amount of celebrity that goes with being a professional athlete. I'm not the sort of person who gets starstruck, but there is a tangible excitement. Something in the air, if you will.

It's not like that, either.

I can't explain it, but there's this weird phenomenon that I've experienced several times now. I've been fortunate enough to be able to virtually hang out/play with several of the bloggers that I read. And every time, there's this semi-awkward trill of excitement.

Perhaps the best real life example I can think of is when I've done a bit of traveling -- further away than, say, a couple of states -- and I run into someone that I went to high school or college with. Not the sort of person where you're like, "Oh, no. Not him." Rather, the sort of person where you chuckle and say, "Small world." This is especially the case if you're attending the same niche event. You know, so that the next comment is "You do this stuff, too?"

What do you call that?

I hope it's not pretentious of me to say that I get this same sort of vibe when I bump into readers. Part of me is always surprised. Like, "Oh, you read that?" The old page-hit counter has been above 0 for some time now. You think it wouldn't be news to me.

I guess my whole point here is to sort of geek out about technology. How cool is it these days that we can so easily rub elbows with people who share our passions? It's the Technically Small World Phenomenon, if I had to put a name to it.

If you run into me, you should probably be aware that I'm a pretty solid introvert. I've never been a social butterfly. Oft times, I feel guilty for being short with people. I reflect later on all the wonderful, elegant, witty things I could have said. It is what it is.

I had a lot of fun playing with Matt this last weekend. This is probably news to him, as I didn't say much. I also learned a lot. I have fun any time I get to play with like-minded folks, even if I have to be coaxed out of my shell a bit in the first place.

So thanks to Matt for hitting me up. And thanks to the other folks that have popped in, commented, just said hi, whatever. If you think it's cool, rest assured that I think it's pretty cool, too. The world is a crazy place. It's always nice to know that you're not as crazy as you might have thought.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I sucked those four straight games. Couldn't carry hard enough from the jungle. My timing was off by a few seconds. I apologize if I'm too intense. I have a tendency to be super competitive.

    But it's okay, I know what I did wrong.

    Will carry harder next time.

    PS, I put my shorts on one leg at a time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It improved my play. I've been dominating back in my bracket now. I'm pretty competitive, too, so it seemed fine to me.

    Do you need more cowbell?

    I'm actually really upset that I never get to go to BlizzCon and meet everyone. During football season (fall), I just can't get away. Every time I've met a fellow blogger, it's been a whole bunch of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Fulguralis,

    Nice post :) A few of my raid team members are getting me into LoL too. So far I really like it. It's like a mix of the original Warcraft strategy game and gauntlet. Whereas, they are high end players and know all the ins and outs - I'm a complete and utterly hopeless failure.

    I feel the same way when I meet other folks who are well known in the gaming community. It's bad enough when I'm usually tongue tied IRL, adding the nervousness being around someone who is popular just makes it worse. I don't think it's a situation where you deem them better than you in any way, but only our own small fear of not being accepted or liked.

    And like Matticus with so much truth, he puts his shorts on one leg at a time too. As do we all :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel free to add me on LoL: Fulguralis. Like I said, I'm a bit of an introvert, but I'll definitely say hi and maybe be able to join you for a game every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you look at a lot of people who blog I think most are introverts. People think I am a huge extrovert but when I meet someone in game whom I haven't spoken to from the safety of my blog (I find my blog is like my safehouse where I have confidence to write and be forward) then I have the same fears of rejection, wanting to make good impressions, and terror that they will find me unworthy of their attention. But you needn't be shy! 2 very popular people have dropped by to chat to you (and I would be all omg did you see Matt and amber came OMG did they notice my typo YIKES jk there's no typo). But little do you know that just coming to visit me has made me all starstruck send fanboy and I came to say hi, and spam your blog as I learn all about you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I like to think I knew what I was getting into. :-) Plus, I think the idea of running around and meeting folks is a really cool one. And, as you saw here, I sympathize with some of the feelings.

    The only downside... it's going to be tough to find me on WoW until MoP. I'm pretty much afk until the expac drops.

    ReplyDelete