Friday, March 15, 2013

A Google Reader Alternate

I have a post I'm cooking up with a whole bunch of Sim City lessons learned and tricks, but the announcement Google made about retiring Reader sent me into a mental tailspin (as well as a whole bunch of others, it seems). I've been a Google Reader user for years now, and I'm not even sure I could find half the blogs I like to read again if Reader just disappeared. So yeah, I was just a bit panicked. Plus, as a content provider, you have to somewhat wonder how this is going to affect your readership.

Have no fear. Feedly to the rescue!

After I calmed down a bit, I suspected it probably would not be too hard to find a replacement. Surely, someone else has created a clever RSS-based reading application. It did not take long. I found Feedly right away, installed the Chrome app, logged in, and perhaps 15 minutes later was staring at my Google Reader subscriptions in a new service. After a bit of poking around, I was sold.

Then, I decided to go look to see if my Reader subscriptions would be safe with Feedly after the inevitable shutdown. The good folks at the Feedly blog had two wonderful articles. One with tips for all of us transitioning from Google Reader. The other explaining how your subscriptions WILL be transferred over (short answer: seamlessly and without any action on my part. Huzzah!).

I figured I'd pass this all along as a sort of public service announcement, as many of you undoubtedly had faced similar freak-outs in the last few days. I want to note that I am in no way affiliated or receiving anything from Feedly. I'm just pimping them because they're the first service I came across, it was super simple to set up, imported my existing subs with a button, and assured me that they've got my back when Reader is shut down. What's not to like?

So no, I do not think Google shutting down Reader will be the end of blogging. I don't think it will really harm traffic all that much. Sure some folks may be left in the dark, but where there's a will, there's a way. If we keep creating content that folks want to read, they'll figure out how to read it. How do I know this? Because I'm more consumer than creator these days anyway!

Case closed. The Mayans were still wrong.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah I set up Feedly yesterday as well. It is still taking some getting used to, but so far I'm not having too much of an issue with it. I am kind of irritated that I can't find where I can change all the feed settings to show oldest first without having to go to every single feed.

    If you find that setting let me know. I have too many feeds to spend the time doing it separately. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still playing with the settings as well! Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMO Feedly doesn't feel like a proper Reader replacement. Now NetVibes does feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey, great minds think alike. I not long posted on my book blog about Feedly. I meant to do it last night but forgot to. I actually used to use it a lot before switching over to Google Reader, it's a lovely reader. But yeah I did a little research before switching and decided this was definitely the best option. /high five

    ReplyDelete
  5. @hasteur - Options are always good. Does NetVibes just have a more traditional "Reader" vibe to it?

    @Jaedia - Awesome. I did exactly zero research. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://i.imgur.com/JFblIgz.png

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does look nice! Thanks for the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feedly is blocked from my corporate proxy. Google reader is not. The sadness is high.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang. Did you check out the "NetVibes" that Hasteur suggested above? Being web-based might help?

    ReplyDelete