Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Random Asides

Yahtzee! I left notes for this post from last week. I'd forgotten about that. It's always nice to log in and have prompts for a post. This is going to adopt the format of Random Asides

One.

I learned how to discern which bosses I'd downed in the LFR. This was a source of consternation for me, as I could never remember what I'd actually accomplished. In the LFR screen, there's a little icon that appears next to the name of the wing. Hovering over it will list the bosses you've looted.

I know for many of you this is not a new trick. For derps like me, I'd been trying to find the old raid lock screen (despite knowing we don't have locks anymore). I figured there had to be someone that would indicate what you've done during the current reset period.

The only downside to the mouseover? It doesn't tell you how many total bosses there are. It just lists the names. I had to look up things to make sure I knew what each wing contained (3 in each of the first two). Perhaps it seems silly to you, but in LFR I generally don't know the name of what I'm fighting. It's more like, "this is that one fight where the floor randomly disappears." Such is how my brain works when I'm not "really" raiding.

Two.

Apart from that, I actually didn't get much done. I had been doing a good job of running dailies from two zones. The problem is that the Golden Lotus dailies keep expanding. So where before I'd be done in 10-15 minutes, now it pushes a half hour. Tricksy Hobbitses.

I should be taking a well-reasoned approach, like prioritizing one faction and making sure I at least finish that each day. Instead, it generally depends on where I logged off and what is on TV in the background. A poor plan, indeed.
  
Three.

I've been playing around with the Ask Mr. Robot premium edition. Of particular note for me is the upgrade-question-asker-thingy. (I'm being profoundly specific, I know.) It's the big spy glass that lets you ask a question such as "How best should I spend my valor points?" Then, it generates a list of items that would benefit you most. Totally worth it's weight in shards. I've been gleefully abusing this feature to tell me what to buy and where to shop. It would also help immensely with my problem in section two, but only if I can force myself into focus.

I think it was another blogger that mentioned to me the find-stuff-in-your-bags-feature had discovered an overlooked item. I've not installed the required addon to use this, but I can see where it would be helpful. When you're running LFR with the TV in the background, items have the tendency to sneak into the inner folds of your backpack. Or maybe you also left your fishing outfit enabled. Oops.

Four.

Because my brain isn't focusing in WoW, I played a decent amount of League of Legends over the weekend. Also, I downloaded some new songs for Rock Band. Yep, I still play that occasionally. Having not explored the DLC in many years (handle it!), I was pleasantly surprised by the offerings. I need to upgrade my drum set.

I'm ashamed to admit I have not gotten very far in ACIII yet. I love the game, it just requires a high level of focus. It's a hard game to pick up and not play for 27 hours straight. I find if I don't have sufficient time allotted for it, then I end up just running around climbing things and picking fights with guards. Totally worth it and fun, mind you, but not all that conducive to progressing.

Ah well, such is a gamer's life. Better too many games than too few, amirite?

9 comments:

  1. I've picked up DA 2 again. I never finished it the first time I started playing it and now I can't seem to stop playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saved Instances addon. Hover over icon which shows your progress for all active lockouts, daily quests, weekly quests across multiple characters. Can also span accounts if you're careful about how you link the character information directories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome suggestion. I'll look into it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The latest 90!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malygos/Shinsplitter/simple

    Any comments on how to proceed with him would be great. He'll primarily be a PvP/scenario alt. He's my banking toon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sort of holding off on dailies for the time being, anxiously awaiting the dungeon rep that's rumored to be coming in 5.2. I just log on, queue for things, and do what I can until it pops.

      I'm not sure how that helps with demonology, but it's sort of a reply. :-)

      Delete
  5. First on the checklist is to get him a 16 slot farm which should be simple enough. I'm going to have him churn out a few staffs and darkmoon cards.

    The Demonic Fury/Metamorphosis play style is fun. A typical mob melts like butter under a metamorphosis attack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But what if I don't like spam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was too slow on the delete button, but I'll leave this just because it's funny :-).

      Delete