Tuesday, December 27, 2011

#SWTOR - Quick Tips

Well, the servers are supposed to be down for another... /checks clock, /does mental time conversation (why the hell do they list CST, GMT, and CET. Seems an odd smattering. I'm used to simply subtracting from PST, being on Eastern, but fortunately I live in Indiana (/sarcasm) where we have both the Eastern and Central timezones and all you have to do is drive NORTH to convert between them (up I65, which is really NW, but it's the principle of it). Yes, time zones get me somewhat worked up... wanna fight about it? /makes lightsaber noise.

ANNNYWAY, I think I have about a half hour before the servers are scheduled to come back up. Also, I've cleared out my reader, so you get a quickie article. Here's a collection of things I've learned on my way to level 25 that may be helpful:
  • Found a pretty solid Shadow guide. I believe the link is a reproduction from the official forums, but I was blocked from the forums when I found it. If you know where it's from, feel free to post the link in comments so I can give proper credit. I wouldn't treat this as gospel (game is still pretty new), but it gives you a good idea of what you probably should be doing.
  • There is already a "torhead" site and, yes, it has a talent calculator. Also information on your companions if you want to know.
  • There is a button on the top of your minimap whenever you're in a flashpoint that allows you to teleport out. The first flashpoint we did (Hammer Station, I believe) had a convenient exit, but the next one (Athiss, I think) we ran halfway back before finding the button.
  • The Legacy System kicks in after you complete Chapter 1 of your class storyline, which tends to be in the low level 30's. Just sayin'.
  • There was a Freeze Mob in Times Square on launch day. I live in Indiana, we just had a freeze on launch day. Fortunately, the wonders of YouTube have captured it for us. Pretty epic.
  • Hmm... 15 minutes left, what else do I have?
  • Space Battles seem to be a good way to make money. Especially if you run them during commercials of a show you're watching. I do them during football games. Perfect.
  • I swapped crafting skills from Synthweaving to Artificing (I've done tailoring in other games and wanted something different). Apart from the money needed to raise it back up (see aforementioned practice of copious commercial space battles), it was pretty easy to get back to where I was. You can queue up to five crafted things by just spamming the craft button, so I made things in batches of five for a bit.
  • Still not up. Did I calculate wrong? Let's see...
  • Nope, not just me. I guess I'll go read another chapter of Brandon Sanderson's Alloy of Law... oh darn.
  • I'll leave with this tidbit. Apparently, SWTOR has already reached 1 million subs. Now, that is the initial surge, so let's not get too excited. More importantly, in my mind, is the fact that we've collectively killed 2 billion NPCs. Luckily they respawn like, well, NPCs.
Reading time. I'll be keeping my eye on the server status page...

5 comments:

  1. Where in Indiana? Indianapolis here, and (Im)patiently waiting for servers to come back up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noblesville. :-)

    In local news... Is this snow going to stop today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They just patched Slicing to make it less overpowering. I'm a slicer and I thought it was way too powerful.

    Slicing

    * Rewards from Slicing have been reduced to bring them into balance with other skills.
    * Adjusted incorrect values for medium slicing boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmel, Indiana here and Daylight Savings Time was the best thing to happen to Indiana IMO...just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind DST and shifting hours to align with daylight so much... It bugs the crap out of me that if I travel north on I-65 I entered a new time zone. Mostly because my family lives up there and I live down here... so I lose/gain an hour and it's a pain in the butt. It's really not that big of a deal, other than I have to sit down and think about it every time I visit the folks.

    ReplyDelete