Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Macro Christmas to You, Too!

I promised a quick update on my UI and some examples of the macros I use, so here it is.  How's that for an intro?  Busy pre-xmas week is busy, but I wanted to get these things out there as I'm sure we'll all squeeze in some gaming time over the holidays.  It may be the perfect time to rework our UI's to fit those new widescreen monitors we're all getting (right, RIGHT?!) and streamline our buttons so we can program them all to our super-spiffy new mice and keyboards.  Or just time for an overhaul with the old stuff :-(.

Anyway, I'll pass along a picture of my current setup first.  I cleaned it up a bit from the old one here, but I didn't number all the addons like I did in that post.  If you're interested in what addons I'm using, check out the linked post.  The addons remain relatively unchanged.  I did add "Guppet" recently, for summoning random mounts and pets.  So far I've been pleased with that.  Otherwise, Auctionator is perhaps the other change I've made.  The rest has been pretty static. 


Also, in regards to the buttons, I broke down what I had last week.  Well, in the course of my cleanup, I combined a few more spells.  Basically, I consolidated my AoE spells to one button, using alt to swap between them.  I also put Demon Soul/Shadow Ward on a button, and made a simple Buff spellcasting macro.  I'll run through some examples of what I did after the pic.

Yes, I was being capture by a Red Dragon when I took this.
Combining those spells freed up a couple slots on my top bar.  My numbers start with the corruption icon and proceed to the right.  There is a vertical bar on the left that contains CC, Portals, and Summoning.  My pet stuff would go in the empty area between the two bars.  It's just off because right now I'm "in a vehicle" or something.  You can also see the grayed out profession bar way up top.  Like I said, if you're curious about an addon, hit up the linked post above.  If you can't find it there, feel free to ask.  For this post, I mainly wanted to deliver on some example macros that may help you consolidate.

First, I'll copy the macro I use to double up on a button.  I've mentioned that I like to use alt as my modifier, so that's reflected in the macros.  Here's the one combining Demon Soul and Shadow Ward:

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Demon Soul
/cast [mod:alt] Shadow Ward

The hash command just let's the tool tip for the first (nomod) spell be shown.  I use this in conjunction with the "?" icon, so that I know what I'm pushing at a glance.  The cast command can be used very simply.  In this case, I just specify either no button press or "alt" button press to dictate which spell to cast.  Very simple.  If I wanted to combine my AoE spells, which I did, it'd look something like this:


#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Seed of Corruption
/cast [mod:alt] Rain of Fire

You do not need to specify the rank, but you do need to get the spelling right.  I believe you can hold a button and click on spells to get the game to enter it for you, but I always just do it manually.

The second pair of macros I wanted to share is a slight modification of my previously published Banish Focus and Fear Focus macros.  Basically, these will allow you to cast an initial CC while setting that target to focus.  Then, as long as that target lives, you can click the button without swapping targets, and CC will be recast on your focus.  Makes it easy to chain Fear/Banish while killing something else.  If the focus target has died or despawned, it will clear.  Recently, I added the option to hold alt to clear your focus so that I had a manual option of clearing it prior to the mob dying.  I've found that functionality to come in handy on occasion.

#show Banish
/clearfocus [target=focus,dead][target=focus,noexists]
/focus [target=focus,noexists]
/cast [target=focus] Banish
/clearfocus [mod:alt]

And in a separate macro:

#show Fear
/clearfocus [target=focus,dead][target=focus,noexists]
/focus [target=focus,noexists]
/cast [target=focus] Fear
/clearfocus [mod:alt]

Finally, I wanted to pass along a more complex "cast sequence" macro that I use to buff.  With the cast sequence command, you can list spells so that subsequent button presses work through a predefined list of spells, one press at a time.  I spice it up a bit here by adding button mods so that the sequence does different things when holding no buttons, the shift button, or the alt button.  For no mod and alt mod, I don't really do a sequence, it's just a way of condensing my previously seen "cast" commands.  For the Shift button, I cycle through both my Fel Armor and Soul Link buffs.  I find those two to be useful to remember to cast after a death.  This isn't the best use of a cast sequence, but I thought it made a good example:


#showtooltip
/castsequence [nomod] Life Tap; [mod:Shift] Fel Armor, Soul Link; [mod:alt] Soul Harvest;

Hopefully these will be useful to some of you, either as springboards to de-clutter your own UI, or straight copy/pastes to use.  They all work well in the current iteration of the game, and I don't foresee future patches really breaking these.  They're really pretty simple as far as macros go, though there's always a chance that Blizz changes their code and breaks them.  Most of these I've been using since TBC though, so I have high confidence in them.  Let me know if you guys have any questions, and I'll get back to you after Christmas.  Until then, consider this your gift!  (Hey, it's better than coal, right?)

4 comments:

  1. Ful, Thanks! I've tried the focus macros before with lousy luck. I think it's because I've been attempting too much on the macro (i.e. mouseover). How do you use these macros (esp. focus and banish)? Are they bound to a key? Do you simply click on target, then the button?

    Only one I'd add would be my all-in-one portal macro, but that's by choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As strange as it is to say; I don't use a single macro or key bind. I just use the basic 1 through = keys and I'm quick enough to click (thanks to ForteXorcist) and recast my CC and any other spells that I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Elk - Yes, you simply must target the intended CC first, use the macro, then every click after that will auto-cast to your focus (which should now be that target), leaving you free to DPS on the main target or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realized I made one mistake up above... do NOT put the [nomod] in the banish macro or it won't work. Just delete it, you do not need to specify "nomod". Sorry to anyone who may be trying these and frustrated :-/

    ReplyDelete