Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Warlocks, Now With 12% More Nerf

Okay, it's probably not all that bad.  Besides, someone told me not to panic.  I'll try to respect that, though I did have a sinking feeling of a 2% net loss of fun.  (As a side note: I don't think I'm the only one that is extremely happy that the Warlock presence continues over at the TNB.  Fim's a great guy, but it wouldn't be the same without a 'lock.  Just sayin': I've grown used to a certain evility over there.)

BUT WUT ABOUT DA NERFZ????!

Yeah, I know.  Sorry.  I'm trying not to panic remember?  Well, here are some good things.  Looking over the list on Hydra's site, I do not see Haunt or Unstable Affliction on there.  I guess those are two spells that escaped the nerf bat.  Maybe it won't be as bad as I think when I get the chance to test it in a raid next Monday.

I think what really almost-very-nearly-closely-potentially-maybe sends me spiraling into a panic (but doesn't quite!) is that Mages didn't have the same treatment.  At least as far as I know.  I mean, have you seen a Mage in a BG or raid?  Tell me they do not reek of OP!  I guess I had been under the impression that all magic classes had been a bit beefy.  Hence why hunters had been the lone suck.  Why, then, were we the only ones to receive the hard nerf bat.

And make no mistake, this is a hard bat.  Normally, you see small tweaks and certain spells disabused because they just weren't tuned right.  This was across the felling board.  Flat rate reductions.  Like the USPS flat rate shipping box, only way less useful for the holiday season.

On the other hand, at 85, I'm sure it'll all balance out.  It usually does.  I suppose I'm going to have to rework all my guides to take Soul Firing into account when we're able to pick up that Improved Soul Fire talent which gives us a hefty haste boost when damaging with a Soul Fire.  This also means we'll have to weave our instant cast SF's evenly through a fight to try to get the most out of the buff and not waste it.  Like Nibs, I'm a wee bit miffed that we're being shoehorned into a very narrow-minded "cookie cutter" spec.  After all, if you don't take that talent, you just won't be competitive due to nerfing.   Or maybe that's all supposition and poppycock.  I could be... shhh... panicking.  Who knows at 85?  And we'll pick up a couple more spells along the way, and probably some mastery.  Maybe we'll scale a lot better than everyone else. 

The world has not been shattered for us.  Wait, yes it has... just not that way.  Well, there's a lot of scarring in either case.

In other news, I was supremely disappointed when I couldn't find a way to set my hearth at The Slaughtered Lamb.  Thus, the Golden Keg will have to do.  If I can't kill Lambs, at least I can kill Cows now.  (You: Huh?)  I'll put that screenshot up tomorrow, because I really want some DHETA hate mail.

As for the less important shattering of all of Azeroth, well, I remember again why I don't run around in the old world.  Not that it isn't pretty or cool or fun, I just can't wait until we are able to fly.  Also, if you go to the busted dam and plummet to your death because of the rock that is not a rock... you're in good company.  It's raining men out there.  And women too.  And space goats, coast to coast.  Hallelujah.

For the rest of the week, my goal is to get you guys some IC fun for Friday.  Since, like a lot of folks here in the States, I'll be traveling for our Thanksgiving holiday, that means the magic has to happen today.  Thus, expect only a dead cow screenie tomorrow, and, hopefully, a bit of narrative on Friday.  Then we'll be back on Monday.  Travel safe and have a wonderful holiday.  Even if you're a Mage.

9 comments:

  1. From what I've been told, this nerf really only effects leveling Warlocks and not really anyone at the end game. Warlocks were doing too much damage at earlier levels, so their coefficients were lowered (from levels 1-79). I played on the PTR with this change implemented and didn't notice a drop in my DPS at all from playing on the PTR with the exact same spec BEFORE the change.

    I think there was a post on Felfire about it somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

    -Abi

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that's the case, it's certainly not evident. I've heard it both ways, and the notes seem to support that it's just a straight nerf, and not to specific level ranges.

    Like I said, maybe it works out at 85 with scaling and everything... but it's a nerf for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea each 'pure' castor DPS class is getting it I guess, so i expect the next patch the mages will be the ones moaning. Having a 'semi' dps class (Shadow) we saw ours coming early. Basically I am reading everyone is hoping for 'works out at 85'. (I have to be careful someone in Blizz may see this and that will be end for the semi dps class, hate to drag the boomkins down with us :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I've tried making this comment on the battle.net forums, but they are bugged and I can't make a comment there. Anyway, this 12% nerf discussion... Seems like there is a lot of people out there who don't really know what they are talking about. Saying 12% is not really 12% and it's gonna be all good when 85. First of, 12% is really 12%, it's a 12% blanket nerf. I'll elaborate on this afterwards. Secondly, I want to say that saying that it's gonna be all good when you buy cataclysm is not ok. I'm not sure I'm even going to buy cataclysm and I sure as hell can't level to 85 now. So, in a way blizzard is reducing the quality of the game for the next 14days and then tries to enforce me to buy the expansion.

    Back to the 12% is NOT really 12% discussion. So it has been confirmed that it's a blanket nerf on the damage coefficient. But, what does this mean? Ok, this is the basic caluclation of damage in wow: C = Cast Time / 3.5. This would mean that a spell channeled for 3.5 second would contribute with 1 times the amount of spellpower. Where 1 or 100% is the damage coefficient in this case. But, this is before the patch. After the patch this would be more like: C = (Cast Time / 3.5) * 0.88. Which equals to 88%. This is just the basic concept, and I know that the numbers I use is not correct, but the idea still is. Anyway you can see from this that 12% blanket nerf really is 12% damage nerf. As simple as that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what you're saying is instead of the .88 number we'd now have something like .76... 12% less? How do stats like SP, Haste, etc get taken into account? Are those what make up the 3.5 number? As far as I understand it there are several scalars involved, some are flat and some increase due to certain stats. Since we get more stats as we level, we get more damage, but the progress is not linear. Thus, it's difficult to say what a stat nerf would mean at 85. Diminishing one of the static coefficients, however, would be the flat nerf you're talking about. It wouldn't matter on level.

    Still a 12% nerf to some spells does not translate to a bottom line 12% nerf. Like I said, several key spells are omitted from the notes. Perhaps they were still nerfed, but if not they might scale better due to a lack of nerfing.

    At the end of the day it's all theoretical and I can't say how I'm going to stack up at end game. Traditionally, I've been near the top of the charts even when Affliction 'locks weren't supposed to be in raids (in TBC when Destro was the spec du jour). Admittedly, I'm pretty casual, so it's not likely that a 12% means that much to me: I simply enjoy my spec and class even if it's not "the best".

    It does bug me, but not to the extent that I want to quit. It wouldn't be the first time Blizz has bugged me either. Still, that's a decision for everyone to make on their own. No one is forcing me to buy an expansion... I always have ACB if it sucks (and apparently enough disposable income that it's not a big deal to me).

    This is Blizzard we're talking about though... they do a pretty damned good job of keeping a reasonable balance for an MMO. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't mean I won't bitch in my personal blog, though :-).

    I hope you find a way to persevere, because with Warlocks underrepresented, we need every voice we can get!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've created a Troll warlock just to see the new storyline for them. Man, am I missing some of my earlier powers (and damage) I had on my gnome back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking it over again and considering it all, I don't really feel that the current nerf is a huge issue. We're 80 for 2 more weeks, and then we start leveling again to 85. Then we start farming heroics again to gear up for raids. THEN we start to raid. We have plenty of time for Blizzard to evaluate our damage (of all Warlock specs), compare it to other caster DPS builds and make the necessary changes.

    I wouldn't jump off the bridge already and refuse to level or buy the expansion. Just enjoy your class (it still plays the same, after all.. it just doesn't kill things 12% faster), enjoy the content and see what we're like come raid time at 85.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for multiple replies, but this is a good thread about the nerf, etc. Also show where Locks are in comparison to other DPS classes at 85 according to sims - below mages and rogues, but well above hybrid DPS.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/795144-The-12-Nerf-Thread-READ-ME

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Cyg - Yes, but at least you have a new storyline to experience :-).

    @Abi - Thanks for the link. Good stuff. I agree: if we're inappropriately nerfed, they'll fix it by the time we get into heavy raiding again. At least at my pace...

    ReplyDelete