Thursday, October 7, 2010

Writer's Corner

Thanks to everyone who's been reading my stories on IC Fridays. I've gotten a decent amount of positive feedback over the last year or so about them, and that's really appreciated.  Anytime you work to create something, you end up putting a piece of yourself in there, and it's nice to know others appreciate it. They are a lot of fun to write and I plan to continue into Cataclysm with them.

I wanted to touch on them today because very soon I'm going to be doing something I've yet to do.  You see, mostly I've looked to the actual adventures of my toons for inspiration.  That is, when Decedereful was poking around looking for her brother at the tournament way back when, Ful was actually parked there and I was leveling with her.  Also, since she's my PvP toon, it makes sense for her to run around to different BG locations.  Ful is generally spotted wherever we're raiding (being my raid toon).  Obviously the other characters follow suit as well.  The bottom line is that I usually try to have a loose linkage to what I'm doing in game.  That probably makes a basic kind of sense.

Now that we have the timing of Cataclysm, though, I find myself needing to advance the storyline further than I've actually progressed via raids.  Our raid crew continues to battle away at the Lich King, but we'll probably take it right up to the wire, which is what we expected going into this.  I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised at how much better the "curve" feels in Cataclysm, since we'll be raiding straight 10 together from the beginning.  In Wrath, we only solidified our team near the end of the expansion to take on ICC.  Imagine if we'd had all the other raids together building up to the last one?  Perhaps it might not have made a difference, but I'd like to think we would have ironed out a lot of the minor issues and gotten better at anticipating and understanding each other.  I mean, more time together should only help right?

In any case, I'm going to write in the demise of the Lich King from my character's perspective pretty soon here.  I'm noodling the scenes and storylines now to try to get an idea of what I want to do, and chances are it will not coincide with our actual downing of the Lich King.  I'm sure many of you are shrugging and saying "eh, no big deal", but to me it represents a stark departure from how I've been writing the story all along.  I still hope it'll remain entertaining and fun, which has always been my goal.  I like to throw in some drama and suspense, but at the end of the day my aim has always been to make you, the reader, crack a smile at least once.  That's what Fridays should be for, IMO. 

Anywho, I just wanted to bring that up today and give you guys a heads-up going into tomorrow's episode.  If anyone has questions about my process or just wants to chat writing... we do check the inbox at least once a week (it's mostly empty) and there are always comments.  We love hearing from you!

Also, as a teaser, Fuu has some exciting news coming up, but I'll let her tell you once she knows more about it.  Suffice it to say, if you're a pally tank fan, you should probably keep your eyes open for her announcement :-).

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Always enjoy reading your friday stories. It inspires me to think up of what my toons are doing/feeling from their point of view. I've tried to write down a story or two, but its hard to get into the groove of things. This is especially difficult since my "raiding" toons are basically retired and I'm leveling yet another toon.

    Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete