Monday, October 11, 2010

Upgrayedd

I finally got promoted to Silver league on Starcraft II. It took me 32 games, winning just slightly over half of them. I think I'm sitting at 23-19. Then I played a few games in my new bracket.  The first thing I noticed is that it did seem like the competition was a bit better.  I lost the first few quickly, before I began to adapt to the new pace of play.  It seems that Silver players are just quicker than Bronze players, flat out.  Strats didn't really seem to change, however.  Actually, if anything, they got worse.

Now, I admittedly only played a handful of games in my new bracket, but the general strat being used seemed to be all-out rush.  It didn't even matter the race.  Heck, I had one Terran opponent come in with a marines and all of their SCVs.  It was the poker equivalent of "all in".  Unfortunately for that individual, I had void rays waiting to counter-attack, and a second fortified base.  I killed all of his stuff, and his remaining force couldn't kill mine (which was still producing the entire time: it takes a long time to wipe someone out).  In any case, you have to be quick, or you wind up dead pretty quickly.  After that, I'm still trying to play fluidly, keeping my opponent scouted so that I can react to what they're building.  I'm not always the best at it, since things like a mass of marines seems particularly hard to counter early on as Protoss.

In unrelated news, rumor is that the big 4.0.1 patch is going to drop tomorrow.  With it comes the much anticipated, much dreaded, much lauded... tree changes.  The plan here at KeS is to get my preliminary Affliction tree up ASAP, then follow it with Fuu's Prot Pally, and then our others.  I'd like to get all the preliminary tree suggestions up first, hopefully get good feedback, and then modify before I update all the guides I have linked here.  It will get busy around here if the patch drops as expected.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • Shards are going away.  Use 'em up now or delete them later, your call.
  • Paladins who are Protection or Retribution specced will no longer be able to Cleanse Magical Debuffs (edit from comments: Cleanse itself is still a baseline spell all specs get but only a Holy Paladin can spec into Magical Debuff removal. For further information Go here!)
  • Holy Power will become a new Resource for All Paladin Specs. 
  • When your Toon hits level 10, you will be stuck in the tree that you put your first talent point in until 31 points are invested (True for all specs for every class)
  • There will be no such thing as a DW Frost DK tank: sad day.
  • A whole bunch of stuff is going to change: stats, talents, etc.  We'll figure it all out soon enough though.  Heck, I'm sure the beta folks are already well on their way.
  • 4.0.1 Will not bring the New Races, World Terrain Changes (right away that is), or Level 85.
Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. All paladins still have access to the new Cleanse (now reduced to disease and poison). Holy palies can get the Sacred Cleansing talent, where Cleanse will also remove a magic effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anon

    Would you happen to know when they changed that? I would love to have a link if you could provide it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anon

    I found an article from World of Matticus discussing Dispel changes to all Healing Classes!

    Thank you again for the heads up on the change :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happens to a 'lock's Soul Pouch? Does that turn into a "regular" 32 slotter hopefully?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Cygnia

    Ok, I was completely incorrect. These bags will be converted into "Roughtly equivalent size" for regular bags. I just read this last night on MMO-Champion.

    Same goes to hunters and their Ammo bags.

    Sorry for the confusion... There seems to be a lot of this going around >.>

    <3 Your Friendly Neighborhood Fuubaar

    ReplyDelete