Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On a Giant's Shoulders

I haven't had a Question of the Day in some time now, so I thought I'd drop one off for discussion today.  The inspiration comes from our raid last night, wherein we all showed up with the intention of nine-manning the early ICC content.  One of our regulars was lounging somewhere on a beach instead of raiding (A pox on him! ...but only because I'm jealous).  Being pretty much the definition of casual, we just said "no big deal" and turned the night into an "emblem run" night by resetting. 

One of the things in ICC is that it really ramps up in difficulty as you progress.  That first wing is, after the implementation of a rather large buff and our gearing up, pretty trivial.  I can still easily remember when it wasn't.  Was it always the hallmark of raids that by the time you were facing he final boss, the first stuff was trivial?  I guess I thought the ramping was a lot less steep in TBC.  Not that it wasn't there, just that it wasn't as stark.  Also, I can't help but think that has a bit to do with the piecemeal release pattern.

In any case, we all signed on at the usual time and, surprisingly, found one of our less active members on.  This friend had actually been dormant for some time, but was getting back into the swing of things since some time opened up.  That sort of thing happens when you're casual, right?  So it was a surprise when we realized we'd actually be able to ten man the content. 

We still decided to reset and emblem-run it since the new fellow hadn't seen more than the first two fights.  Besides, the weekly for our realm was Marrowgar.  It was destiny. 

As we ran, we gave the "newb" the token explanation of each fight before we basically facerolled over them.  One of the great things about our raid team (and probably most raid teams) is that we have great retention of fights.  We learned these the hard way and had pretty much the same people, so attacking these bosses we played like a well-oiled machine.  It was a very enjoyable, fun, non-stressful raid environment.

With each "new" boss we downed, our old friend chimed in on vent "how cool" this stuff was.  What I didn't count on for the night was how much his sense of wonder rubbed off on me.  I mean, I'd seen all this stuff before, but there's something about bringing a friend in and giving them the ten-cent tour that reignited my own passion for the content.  It was really interesting to me.  I just felt a renewed sense of pride and excitement at literally showing someone what we've been up to. 

It's sort of like when you've spent a lot of time on a personal project and you finally get to share it with someone who can appreciate it.  Maybe where the night before you were throwing your tools against a wall in frustration, revealing the project to someone else casts it in a new light, and lets you really focus on all the positive things about it.  Of course, you also probably notice the few flaws and make some mental notes to fix those up, but I think the feeling is overwhelmingly positive.

In any case, my question today is if any of the rest of you have experienced this phenomenon.  That is, do you notice a renewed vigor when taking an old friend through content new to them but old to you?  I know I certainly did, but maybe it's just me.

4 comments:

  1. AV- Aravin/Araat/VinenaroJune 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM

    Ahhh! I am glad I helped reignite some fun in the ol ICC. I was rather glad I was able to come, I had alot of fun seeing all the new content, and chatting it up with my old buddies :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG YES! This is one of the most fun things you can do in WoW. Some people call it carrying but it's not that. It's about giving someone a chance to see something they have never seen before! The Saurfang intro that is so tedious to you now is EPIC to one who has never seen it before. Watch the new player in a situation like that - see how he pays attention to every part of the scene. I get great enjoyment from this and even more when the loot that drops is something that they can actually use (they who perhaps are still in T9s)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that why we have kids? From age 0 to 12 when they soon know everything and don't want to hear from ma and pa unless its for money. Luckily I am still at phase 1, the fun stage, with my kids! Got about 4 (hopefully 5) more years, till phase 2 starts with my daughter.

    Oh Warcraft! Sure! Tons of fun! Unless that newb wipes the entire raid repeatedly because he's not listening to vent and simply lets the ooze run rampant..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @AV - Word. You newb. :-)

    @Chawa - For sure! The loot comment is a great point too that I didn't bring up. I know AV (commenter one) felt like a loot whore last night, but it makes us happy.

    @Elk - lol. Yep I haven't experienced the kid angle yet, but that's probably double the fun!

    ReplyDelete