Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Geeky Girls Gone Wild! Er... Girls Gone Geeky!!!!!!

Hey Gang!

If you haven't read the Girls Gone Geek Post over at Miss Medicina's Blog... Go Right now & DO IT! I'll Wait.

Welcome back! So are you on the charter for the club yet?! For those of you who were A) Allergic to Jess's blog & did not read it or B) Too Lazy to click on a link (for Shame)

June is Celebrate Geeky Girl Month! 



As you can see, Fuu celebrates by taking her pants off & tanking an entire instance while proving that girls do play WoW & can tank... actually she was just showing off her tanking epeen (and her pixelated booty) to her guildies.

Why do I support this Club? Well for one, I'm a Girl & two I'm a Geek. I've also been a huge gamer since my original Nintendo & my Dad's old school IBM where I played my first Sims game (Sim Ant fyi). Once I got my first clunky PlayStation I was hooked on Final Fantasy. I would play for hours at a time & for months on end. I used to print out where all of the treasures where so that I could finish everything in one swoop (which would take me upwards to 5-7 months). No small feat if you ask me. Gaming was such a huge part of my life. I loved it and still do today.

Here in lies the problem though, I didn't have any friends who were gamers. I couldn't ask them how they beat Zelda or how long it took them to grind for the Legendary Shield of blah. I mean, it was such a part of my life but I had no one to share it with. Even when I had guy friends, they would only be playing the latest Madden game or Golden Eye (which OMG I would beat the living daylights out of them with Slappers only). I do remember one time when I was in high school where one of my girl friend's brother's had a Nintendo 64 and we played Mario Kart until our fingers were aching. If you must know, I was always Donkey Kong (the fat pixelated monkey who's kart was so slow that people would lap me). It was actually nice to play with someone else who was a girl. This was a true gift at this awkward age. Where gaming wasn't cool and girls had to be sexy in order to fit in.

Looking back at it, it made me sort of sad to think that I couldn't share my love of gaming with others freely for fear of being judged (of Light) or labeled as a geek. The more I think about it though, perhaps I should have just embraced my passion & threw a net out to see if there were other "gamer girls" in my school. Hind Sight 20/20 right? Talking with Jessabelle yesterday made me realize how much I did miss out on. Things that I know that I would have enjoyed but wasn't brave enough to do it alone. 

Now is different because I actually have people that I care about in my life to share my geeky passions with. I have a wonderful husband who games right by my side. I have an entire guild of people that I can honestly say that I've shared a beer with in real life. And most of all, I have a great girl friend who urges me on to express my inner geek. Injecting bravery to try all of the things that I've missed out. 

This year, I'm going to Gen-con in Indianapolis, IN. This will be my very first Gaming Convention and I cannot express to you how excited I am to go and be with my friends. I'm also doing something that I've never done before and that is wear a costume. Now, I'm not going to LARP (aka Live action roleplay) or anything quite yet, but I figure how often do you get to actually dress up in your life? Halloween and random college breakfast clubs but that's about it. I'm going to buy a medieval dress and maybe Elf ears (the ones that actually stick to your skin not the odd looking Goofy ones). I'm also going to be traveling to my very first Renaissance Fest in Ohio with Jess. Her & I have decided that we are going to dress up as beer wenches, get drunk & frolic in the forest.

This is why I support Girls Gone Geek for the month of June. I implore you to reach inside and think about something that you've always wanted to do but weren't brave enough to do it for fear of rejection by others. WHO CARES! Life is too short to live like that. Pick up that game you've been too shy to buy. Start sitting in with your D&D friends. Go & see the new Iron Man movie with your girl friends. I'll bet if you do something that is outside of your box, you'll learn something about yourself.

<3 Fuu

PS: /wave to all of the new wow.com people who followed the link. I encourage you to sniff around, you might find your new favorite bloggers :)

2 comments:

  1. Heh, yeah. Getting linked by wow.com is a little surreal, isn't it?


    Mind you, it was mostly lurkers and only a few comments for us.

    Anyway, grats on the linkages AAAND hooray for geeky girls. If it weren't for my gf being a fellow geek, I'd be ruined! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing my best to raise a geeky daughter. She plays around with my bank toon, which I've tried to model closely to her, red hair, etc. Ok, the BElf ears are different. She likes exploring the towns, changing her clothes and her various pets.

    Maybe when she's older (say 10-11) get her own account... :)

    ReplyDelete