Monday, March 1, 2010

A New Direction

Well, the last weekend was quite busy in a non-gaming way. We took our annual ski trip, and bought a house. We don't actually close for two months, but still... this house business is a lot of work already. It's worth it, don't get me wrong. We're way past cramped in our apartment, but as I'm sure you all know, when life decides to rear it's ugly head, gaming tends to take a back seat.

Some of you may of have noticed the lack of an IC Friday last week.  For that, I apologize.  Really, those are the only days I feel bad about missing because I do so enjoy writing them.  Still, life beckoned...

I wanted to relate this not as the obligatory "sorry my posting is on the fritz" post, but to explain a forthcoming change of approach on my part.  You see, time is not going to cooperate for perhaps the next few months, and when moving there is always the threat of being (*gasp*) without internet for some stretches of time, so I really don't know how the next few months are going to go.  I usually strive to be quite regular in time, quantity, and length of post (I am, after all, a creature of habit), but I'm afraid that's going to be a lot more difficult to anticipate in the coming weeks.  As such, I'm going to institute a new "Question of the Day" feature. 

The QotD feature here at KeS stems directly from the fact that I believe I have a stellar group of readers who often add insightful and helpful comments.  Honestly, that's one thing I've really been surprised about and thankful for.  I rarely get trolls; nearly every comment adds something to the topic at hand.  It really is one of the driving forces behind my motivation to post.  I guess I feel that even if I'm not particularly helpful or smart on any given day, the comments usually bail me out and can provide some great discourse.  That's what we're all here for right?  Why, just the other day I got someone asking in my Affliction Threads linked on the left there for some help and advice on a Destruction Spec.  It was particularly touching because it was really a question asked towards a community, not towards me in particular, and it made me think "wow, I apparently have a community of knowledgeable 'locks around these parts" which is great stuff.  Really, to have people trust enough and feel comfortable enough to lay it out and ask for advice is something I think all bloggers strive for, and I can't take credit alone for that... it's largely a function of my readers and for that I think all of you.

Oddly out-of-character emotionalism aside, where was I?  Oh yes, QotD.  Well, it's going to go like this.  There may be a post, there may not, depends on how time treats me.  I will try, however, to come up with at the very least, a question that is on my mind. I'll probably throw down some quick thoughts, but it may not be full-post worthy.  Hopefully it will be game related (obviously), but the goal is the get some feed back.  Maybe the answers will spawn posts of their own, who knows.  The point is that I want to keep up a regular daily type thing, but may not always have the time to craft a full post, so we'll see how it goes.  I imagine we could have some pretty neat discussions.  It will probably be shorter than my normal fare, but, hey, we all probably have backlogged feed readers anyways.  I just didn't want you guys to think I'm going anywhere or not keeping up with things.  You can definitely expect expectant eyes on looming patches and expansions.

In any cases, let's get this party started with today's QotD:

For an extremely time-limited raid group (say once a week for two hours), how do you manage raid resets?

You can answer both from personal experience or from logical theory.  As I've explained before, this is really the boat we're in.  We raid ICC-10 once a week for two hours.  That's it.  That's all most of us can squeeze into our busy schedules.  It's sort of a niche since I really think everyone involved is a great player and people who love games in general, but have a lot of other RL obligations.  Whether it be kids, jobs, or other hobbies, we just can't dedicate the time to WoW that other raiders usually do.  I've said before that we make up for it by researching, reading, and (some of us) writing about the game.  We're those kind of players, and we've been really successful so far.

One conundrum, however, seems to be how often we should reset the raid ID.  The trade-off is quite simply between gearing and learning.  On one side, if you do not reset, you get a lot more attempts at the latest road block (Rotface for us).  On the other side, you get to gear up to perhaps ease the learning curve, but don't even necessarily get to the "new" stuff.  Really, it's a question of balance.  You have to balance getting learning attempts with continue to gear your raiders, and do it all without burning anyone out or causing frustration at lack of progress.  I think we've done a really good job so far with this, but we haven't really used a guideline or anything, sort of playing it by ear.  If it was the weekly, we'd reset.  Then we'd also reset some other times too.  I believe we're going to reset today after getting a good 11 learning attempts last week.  It's probably a good move, but I wondered what others are doing.  Hence, QotD... nooooooow, go!

7 comments:

  1. As a casual guild, we've NEVER extended an ICC ID. There was too much complaining about people still needing gear from the first few bosses. We probably will start extending in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once you get to the point where the majority of the gear is being disenchanted, it's time to start extending. There will always be one or two of those elusive drops (it's the caster trinket from Gunship for my group) that will cause some people to be against extending the raid, but if all you're getting from your raid week is one or two pieces of loot and have no time for working on anything new, it's time to extend.

    As for reseting, I'd reset the week after any new kill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. grats on the new house. If you are moving into an established neighborhood, you can always take advantage of your neighbor's free wi-fi at least until the Internets are back up. As someone who's recently moved myself, it wasn't 'that' bad. Just make sure with your ISP, if they have a 'validation' check (does the house exist), that they schedule it before you move. I moved into an apartment before moving into our new house and AT&T took 2 weeks to verify the apartment had lines capable of DSL. Never scheduled that site visit. When we moved to the house, I knew the game, and had them out there the day we closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys.

    One thing to remember too: Frost Emblems. This is the primary way a lot of casuals are able to gear up, accounting for at least half their gear probably. Maybe not that much, but a significant amount. Obviously, resetting (or not) has a huge impact on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the house!

    I stumbled onto your blog today via Tweeps' blogrolls. I love all things Lock and recently purchased a house too. It will definitely be a little hairy finding time for everything even after closing. I just finally resumed my account after just over 3 months!

    Home ownership is very rewarding. Once the feeling like you're just staying at a new place wears off, and you realize you've got all this room and nothing to fill it with, you'll have truly arrived :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the Craziness that is Killing em' slowly :)

    Pull up a chair and stay a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete