Monday, January 18, 2010

19 Elemental Shaman Twink: Update

Hey Gang!

I wanted to give you an update on my level 19 Elemental Shaman Twink. Once I hit level 19 I road the boat to Stormwind and found the creepy rogue in the corner and payed my 10g dues and shut off my precious XP gains. Now the fun begins.

I warn you, this is quite long and informational. If you aren't really in to Twinks or shaman, I suggest you just click read on your feed reader and look for another days post :P

This is the gear I'm currently wearing:

Flying Tiger Goggles- I dropped leatherworking and picked up Engineering for the ability to wear the Goggles. Other than these, the only other viable helm available to anyone at this lvl would be the Fishing Hat from the Stranglethorn Fishing Tournament. It is extremely hard to win especially on a pvp server. A lvl 19 in stranglethorn is like bait if you don't have bodyguards to protect you from certain death.This is a wussy way out if you ask me :)

Thick Bronze Necklace- Since I have a Jewelcrafter, I made myself the +3 Stam necklace. I've looked at other twinks and this is pretty much the norm. I'll poke around and see if any of the instances offer anything better for me in terms of drops.

Aged Pauldrons of the Five Thunders- I ended up buying the pvp BoA pieces that are made for Shaman. Some people say that you are not a true twink if you have BoA gear. They are probably correct in that there is most-likely something better out there but I doubt that they have +Resilience on anything that is level 19 or lower.

Mystical Vest of the Elements- I used some of Fuu's endless supply of Triumph Emblems and downgraded them to Heroism for the PvE chest. This is a pretty decent Piece of gear for this level. I've been really trying to only gear with Leather for the +armor on them verse a Cloth piece but the major problem is you will mainly find +Int, +Spirit, +SP, on Cloth while you find +Str, +Agility, on Leather pieces. My previous chest was actually a really decent green that I found on the AH but it was cloth. Once I purchased the BoA, it was leather but if I remember correctly, I actually lost some stats. Over all though, I'm happy that I bought it.

Inscribed Leather Bracers- I dug up a decent green from the AH. I'm a total Auction House Bargain shopper! Every day that I log in, I'll do a quick sweep of all leather & cloth pieces for level 10-19. If I find a piece that is an upgrade in any way and is at a reasonable price (less than 10g) I'll usually buy it. Though you have to be careful if you are looking for the "BEST" piece gold can buy because someone else knows that it's good for a twink and will jack up the price considerably  ranging from 100-300g. Now, I'm not saying that these pieces are not really good pieces but in all seriousness, I'll be doing a lot of homework on if it is the BiS for an elemental shaman at 19. If it is, and I plan to stay in this bracket for a while, I might invest in them or if they are crafted items, have someone make them for me.

Spidersilk Drape- This was my actual big ticket item. I dropped a whole 50g on the Silken Drap (I'll have to look this up when I get home for actual name & spelling) This is one of the best caster cloaks for this level. A good quality cloak is hard to find and when you do, you need to grab it up like it's going out of style. It is a tailored piece but the mats are retardedly hard to farm and 50g was definatly worth it. I think they normally sell for around 100-150g so 50g was a bargain.

Feral Gloves of the Eagle- I've actually been trying to replace these when I run instances. I've seen a few upgrades drop both Cloth & leather that were complete upgrades but I've lost the roll on all of them. I've also been trying to decide with ones I wanted to go with. There is a wide variety of gloves out there for Elemental shaman. Anywhere from +int & +stam (which I'm actually sporting now) to +SP. There are blues that drop in Wailing Caverns that have +int, +Stam, & +spirit cloth and those are my goal as of right now. I believe that the stats outway the +armor that I would get from a leather piece.

Bright Belt- AH buy. This also seems to drop from a heap of lower instances as well if you want to save some gold.

Bandit Pants of the Eagle- AH buy

Walking Boots- AH buy. I think these are from a Rare Spawn

Rings- One of these babies is from my Jewelcrafter Simple Pearl Ring and the other is with my Honor Points/ Badges from Warsong Gulch Lorekeeper's Ring. I was actually pretty disappointed with what can buy at this level with the millions of HP and Warsong Gulch marks. 1 Ring, 1 Staff, (look up what alliance can buy). Only the ring had potential in all of this. Pretty sad stuff if you ask me. I think blizzard really needs to go back & fluff this stuff up. Especially if you have twinks who have been doing this for so long that their Honor Points are maxed with nothing to spend them on.

Trinket- I bought the Swift Hand of Justice haste trinket. My other slot is currently empty awaiting for the pvp movement trinket. I may buy with Stone Keeper Shards (250) Inherited Insignia of the Alliance  BoA as well.

Sergeant's Warhammer of Healing- I found a nice +SP mace, I think from the AH. Again, good caster weapons are hard to find that aren't staves.

Forest Buckler- I found an awesome Shield for a whole whooping 75 silver on the AH. It's a little squatty thing but it's perfect for my shammy. Gives me more survivability than a Staff.

Enchants:

Helm- None
Shoulder- None
Back - Funny story about this. When I found the awesomely delectable cloak, it was also enchanted for me with +50 Armor. This was truly the best thing ever!
Chest- +100 health
Bracer - +7 Intellect
Gloves- +10 Haste Not really sure what else would be better for me but hey, cast your crap faster can't be a bad thing.
Belt- None
Legs- +16 Armor from the leatherworking Patches
Feet- +5 Stamina
Main Hand- Need to enchant. Just need to find something that's reasonable for a 1 hand caster.
Off-Hand- +HP5 & +MP5

Stats: (as of 01-18-2010)

Unbuffed:

Health: 891
Mana: 1,161
Spell Power: 37
Crit: 7.04%
Haste: 9.83%
Armor: (without my totems) 995
Resilliance: 5

Totally twinked out individuals normally run around 1,600-2000 health which is something that I'm going to aim for if I stay in this bracket. I've found this it's actually funny to run lower level instances with non-twinks because their health is so low. Sad really. I never top Damage charts though because most of the time, I'm ending up healing or things die too fast that it's just too much mana to lay down my searing totem than to just melee things to death.

Professions:

Engineering- For the helm mainly and the bombs that you can make that are quite fun and useful.
Herbalism- Lifebloom, Lifebloom, Lifebloom. This is like an insta HoT that could save your life. Now, I was stupid and forgot to check to see if this worked a long with Gift of the Naru before I dropped my 150 lvl skinning for this. So, if you are a Draeni, skip this one and pick up something else.
Skinning- +Crit which is nice to have for any class at this level because there are few pieces that actually have crit on them.
Mining- +Stamina is the bonus that you receive for this. This is something that's Viable for all twinks if you ask me! edit: for some unknown reason I thought this was +strength. Thank you for pointing this out to me :D
Leatherworking- This was my initial Profession that I chose because I thought I could make some decent blue gear for my shaman. I dug around and really found that, no, this was not the case. I dropped this and picked up Engineering instead.
Inscription- There really isn't much you can do with this profession other than maybe save yourself some precious silver if you want to buy glyphs. I suggest just buying them off the AH or have a friend make them for you.
Blacksmithing- I'll actually have to see if there is any viably stuff that you can craft for an elemental shaman such as Maces or Shields. From what I've seen, no.
Alchemy- This would be a good pair if you choose to have herbalism as your second profession. you can make your own health & mana potions along with some +intellect elixirs if you so choose to have that extra boost. Since Fuubaar is my alchemist, I didn't really feel it necessary to have another.

My suggestion is for an Elemental Shaman would definitely be Engineering for the helm and bombs, and herbalism if you are not a draeni. If you are a draeni, then it's a toss up for skinning, Alchemy, or Mining. It all depends on you and your circumstances.

My spec looks a little unorthodox. This little project was to create an elemental Shaman but the more I keep reading, it's not the "BEST" spec at this level. Actually, if I wasn't so gung ho about being elemental, I would probably go Enhancement. This is why:

Dump my first 5 points into +intellect to reach the second level in the enhancement tree to got to the Ghost Wolf form that makes it instant cast. This, by far, is so OP. The only other class that has a travel form is the druid. Shaman and Druids make some of the best Flag carriers in Warsong Gulch mainly for this reason alone. Speed! get your ass into the other sides Flag room and get the hell outta there asap! The last points are normally spent on lowering the cast time on our only healing spell in the Resto tree.

So, since I am not going this route I wanted to stay in the Elemental Tree and beef spells up that way. I make good use out of my Gift of the Naru as my mobile heal and if I get the chance to duck behind a corner, I can cast my OMG slow heal. It's pretty powerful though if you can get it off. It will pretty much heal you to full if you have caster gear on. Since I usually dont have the luxuray of time, I bandage or if I have a real emergency, I'll pop a health pot so that I can get the hell outta there.

This is what I came up with for an Elemental Shaman Spec.





As you can see, I spread my points out on the top row. I feel that Elemental Shaman are horrible mana suckers. We run oom any chance we get. Running OOM during a BG spells certain death for caster. So I spent them in reducing the costs of my totems and improving my damage done by those spells. I figure if I can burst the player down faster, I'm using less mana the more powerful the spell is. This got me to the second tier so I invested 3/3 in  6% damage reduction. Who doesn't want that in a BG? Yummy stuff let me tell you. That's how I spent my 9 talent points.

Again, I could have spent them differently if I wanted to spec in the best way possible as an Shaman at level 19 but I want to be an Elemental Damn it! Here is my wowhead link if you would like to see it for yourself.

Anyways, this is getting ridiculously too long, even for my own taste. Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, ZOMG L2PvP, you know the drill. Thanks :)

<3 Fuu

9 comments:

  1. A ring that will help boost your stamina is the Blood Ring. It is a 5 stamina ring. Keep an eye out for it in the auction house. It's drop rate is insanely low :(

    Even though your exp. is turned off, you can still quest! You can do the quest chain from Westfall that ends up in the Seal of Wrynn, a solid ring for almost any class.

    Run those random dungeons! You can get a nice cloak and belt from there, with an item level of 25. With exp. turned off, it won't cost you anything but time.

    I'm busy twinking a 29 druid (19 is dead in the Reckoning Battlegroup). Check out my blog (if you want ^.^ http://escapistscrawl.com) to see where the fun is for 19's. I hope you are in the right battlegroup. If not, expect to be in queue forever :( Seems each bracket has a special home in its own battlegroup for those who still enjoy twinking.

    You could always turn the exp back on when you are happy with your gear and just run regulars. Just stay in the middle and kill, or you'll get flag assist exp :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mining gives you stamina, not strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Argon

    WoW! Thank you so much for pointing that out. Well, that totally makes that viable for every twink I see ;)

    I'll change that in my notes.

    <3 Fuu

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be cheaper stone keeper shard wise, to use Wintergrasp Commendations to give your twink honor to buy the regular Insignia. You may loose a bit of Resilience, not sure what that would be at for a level 19 (wowhead only shows values on Heirloom gear for level 80's)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations... this post got some additional recognition on WoW.com

    http://www.wow.com/2010/01/19/the-daily-quest-european-style/

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anon

    I've been trying to figure out the best course of action regarding the aquirement of my twinks insignia. I'm going to see which one would be the easiest.

    Thanks for the tip :)

    @ Khay

    Thank you for the heads up. I'm so excited to get feedback on this post.

    /bow

    ReplyDelete
  7. 19 twink ele shammy =fail,try enh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Anon

    If you actually read the post, I go into what the "prefered" spec would be:

    5 points in the +Intellect talent so that you can drill down to get instant Ghost wolf form.
    Then the remaining points normally go into reducing the cast time on our only heal.

    I chose not to go that route and stay in Elemental for burning down players.

    If everyone was enhancement, and spent their talents all the same way, it would be a boring world now wouldn't it?

    But thank you so much for your "Awesome" insight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought anyone would want the same thing as me :D. Keep going dude :P.

    ReplyDelete