Monday, November 9, 2009

Tanking in Circles or Circle of Tanks: Another Meme or Lazy "Educational" Post

Tanking. The final Frontier!
I've seen this Meme floating around on a few sites now and I figured since I did one for my healing alt, that I should really do it for my main.

PS: I found this picture here. It makes me smile to see someone's looking out for those hard working machines. Someone made it a pink quilt :D

What is the name, class, and spec of your primary tank?
Fuubaar, Protection Paladin. I would tell you my Spec but... I would have to kill you.

What is your primary tanking environment? (i.e. raids, pvp, 5 mans)
Well, this has been changing a lot lately. Fuu is one of the best geared tank in the guild & our alliance so she has been called to duty quite a bit. Fuu's not picky as long as she's the center of attention. She mostly Raids 10-25mans and occasionally runs heroics if she's needed.

What is your favorite tanking spell for your class and why?
I would have to say Hammer of the Righteous. It makes me laugh when I hear that PING PING PING when it hits. I just image the mobs face in slow mo videos of boxers getting their lights punched out and the sweat & spit flying off to the side as their faces get smashed in. {yikes, that's pretty gruesome the more that I think about it}

What tanking spell do you use least for your class and why?
The newer spell that we just got in our Protection Tree. *scratches chin* Now, what's it called again? Divine Righteous Hand of Light? Well, what ever. I used it once as an off tank and I died from the damage. Well, I was mainly testing it out in Naxx to see what would happen. More or less, it's for an Off tank or a Retribution who enjoys helping out from time to time. I normally MT so I can't afford to take even more damage then I'm receiving. All in all, I think it's a dumb spell for a Main tank to use.

What do you feel is the biggest strength of your tanking class and why?
Threat.Threat. Oh & did I say Threat? I seriously can run up to a boss, do 1-2 rotations on it & go AFK for the rest of the time. (wow, am I really Snottydin? I am a girl IRL)

What do you feel is the biggest weakness of your tanking class and why?
Casters. Those Fuckers SUCK! Thank the Lord that they gave us a Silence to get them into our midst, but I remember pulling groups where the melee would be predictable & run at you but those Casters would just sit there & pot shot you until the healer would gain healing aggro & tickle them to death. Before, I would ask the Warlock to send the angry puppy in to do the dirty work. This still becomes frustrating when I do tank Heroic ToC (5-man) when you have to deal with the three random dudes. What ever.
Tl;DR Casters are our biggest weakness

In a 25 man raiding environment, what do you feel, in general, is the best tanking assignment for you?
Ok, this is where I have two answers:
1) Best assignment- Adds by far. Paladin's a great AoE threat & can round up stray adds pretty well.
2) Most enjoyable Assignment- Definitely Tanking the big brute. I absolutely LOVE being panic stricken when I see my health go flying all over the place. Knowing that the healers & I have this fight in our very grips is just a huge rush for me. Plus, I hate HATE hearing "Fuubaar, pick up the adds" makes me feel like such a worthless git.

What tanking class do you enjoy tanking with most and why?
I've had the privilege of tanking with every class in the game and tbh, it really doesn't matter what class it is, but who's operating it. I've ran with high-end raiding Warriors that could make every gimmick look cheesy and I've ran with DKs who just do the proper things. I actually learned the basics of tanking from a Druid that still tanks by my side a year later. I don't think that I could pick just one of these individuals or classes saying that they are the best. Flame me for not answering the question :P

What tanking class do you enjoy tanking with least and why?
*scratches chin* Class wise, I would have to say DKs. I only say this because any pug that I've ever run in with a DK tank that I don't know normally noobs it up by taunting of the other tank, Death gripping at inappropriate times, and all around just making themselves look foolish. This probably also stems from Stereotypes but eh, you'll have that.

What is your worst habit as a tank?
Probably showing off. It's probably a bad case of, "Hey Mom! Look at me!" When I know the fights like the back of my hand & I'm not the Main Tank, it's hard for me to let the other tank have all of the fun. If that other tank dies during the fight, I secretly laugh & take over both assignments. "All heals on Fuu" best line ever :)

What is your biggest pet peeve in a group environment while tanking?
Well, this doesn't really have anything to do with tanking but more as being a paladin. Paladin buffs Nuff said.

Do you feel that your class/spec is well balanced with other tanks?
When I tanked in TBC, I really felt that Paladins had a sour reputation as a permanent Off-tank. We were pigeon holed into Add tanks and were there just to be a sidekick. When WotLK came out & it's changes to our class, I've really felt that we've received the proper tools to become on-par or even better prepared to be MTs for any fight. We have a really great Mitigation/Avoidance balance that many other tanks strive for. I'm a mitigation nut & stack more block than I probably should but I'm excited to see how this pays off in IceCrown with the Avoidance Aura debuff. I believe that Paladin tanks are really going to shine.

What tools do you use to evaluate your own performance as a tank?
Mainly, Omen for threat. During gimmicky fights, those are usually evaluated by people struggling to live or healer deaths. If everyone lives & I'm not gasping for air, then I'll call it a win.

What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about your class?
After TBC & the "Paladin's are only good at add tanking" shenanigans, Paladin's still are misconstrued as being poor threat on single targets. Protection Paladin's are versatile tanks that can handle a variety of different tanking situations as well as or even better than the other tanking classes.

What do you feel is the most difficult thing for new tanks of your class to learn?
Truly understanding the tools that you have and using them properly and in a timely manner. To my knowledge, Paladin's are the only tanks with a true rotation (969) that is found to be the most effective in regards to TPS & DPS. Being able to ease the pain of healers by blowing cool downs really sets you apart from poor & regular tanks. The best thing you can do as a new tank is find a mentor or a teacher. They don't need to necessarily be of the same class but learning little tips & tricks makes the learning process go so much more smoothly than flying blind & solo.

Effective Health or Avoidance and why?
I'm a block stacking nutcase! I remember a few Patchwerk fights where I would be taking hatefuls & laughing with glee when his all mighty hits were being weakened by 10k or more. That's ridiculous! Not only are you reducing the incoming damage by gobs but your health is a lot more predictable and much easier to manage as a healer. Spike damage is bad :(


What tanking class do you feel you understand least?
Probably either a DK or Warrior. Dk's I'm getting a better understanding now since Fulguralis is trying one out in tank-mode. Warriors seem pretty simple because they have similar tools as a paladin but TBH I don't even know which tree is their tanking one. Arms, Fury, Furious Limbs? WTF?!

What add-ons or macros do you use, if any, to aid you in tanking?
PallyPower! You are not a paladin until you download this ADDON! I'm not joking around. People will hate you! I also have an addon which announces when I use Divine Protection so healers know that I'm taking 50% damage or I was about to die. It also announces if my Avenger's Shield missed. This is a warning for DPS to be careful of their threat. They may end up with a mob chewing on their face since I didn't get initial aggro. I would like to set it up for Ardent Defender warnings.

" Healers WTF!?! I just died!"

Do you strive primarily for balance between your tanking stats, or do you stack some much higher than others, and why?
Overall, I believe that a good balance of avoidance & mitigation is really the way to go. I've geared Fuu exactly the way that I find gear. If it's an upgrade in Stamina, Armor, Defense, and either Dodge, block or parry, I'll replace the gear. I have horrible luck when it comes to drops so I just roll with the RNG punches.

Now that I've taken your time, I'm going to ask that my Hubby responds to this as well. He's just started tanking and I'm very interested in his answers.

Ok hun! All you :D

3 comments:

  1. Hmm.. maybe I should make a tanking response. I totally agree with you on DK tanking, so many DK just suck!! And even though, my main tank is a DK, I do believe they are the weakest class right now, unless they are just amazingly geared, they are just harder to heal! Hence why my spec is blood.

    I totally love pallys they are my favorite tanking class by far to raid with. I will have to say when I am dpsing a warrior and druid can hold more singlet target aggro, but I have no doubt that pallys can keep the aggro if I give them a few xtra seconds, I never have to worry about my pallys, and I love running with Fuubaar and Drunkypally, my fav pallys =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I also have an addon which announces when I use Divine Protection so healers know that I'm taking 50% damage or I was about to die. It also announces if my Avenger's Shield missed. This is a warning for DPS to be careful of their threat. They may end up with a mob chewing on their face since I didn't get initial aggro. I would like to set it up for Ardent Defender warnings."


    ..... That's what that shit means? Oh God.

    I really AM the failest of all failpallies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jess

    I sometimes use it to give the healers some time to catch up or just a mini break from spamming.

    I used it religiously during 25-man KT fights when my health was bouncing all over the place. Warrior's Shield Wall is the same thing. It's just your basic Oh $#!& button :)

    No hatin towards the healers mad skillz.

    ReplyDelete