Friday, May 8, 2009

The "Real" Eye of Eternity Battle

The smooth, alien blue eyes were staring back at me, unblinking and foreign. A chill raced up my spine that had nothing to do with the traditionally low temperatures in Northrend. I stared back, unwilling to flinch in even the slightest manner. There was absolutely no way I was losing this battle. My eyes began to burn as I struggled to stay focused.

A single bead of sweat formed on my brow, threatening to drip down into my exposed eyes. I would not flinch. My very existence depended on it. How could I ever live with myself if I lost now? The bead began to swell as the sweat gathered, tingling at my forehead. The dry flickering of torchlight in my periphery threatened to steal my attention, but I forcefully pushed it from my mind.

Thin tendrils of smoke wafted lazily in front of my eye, seemingly unconcerned with epic battled that was taking place in its company. The unseen particles stung my eyes, and I silently cursed the Dwarves that I knew were sitting nearby, observing this titanic battle with pipes in hand. They should know better than to try and distract a warlock of my prowess. Why were they siding with my enemy anyways? Didn't they know how devastating the consequences of losing could be?

The sound of glass shattering filled the room and I thought perhaps that our little encounter was having unforeseen consequences on the world around us. The barmaid had probably stopped to stare in awe at the powers being unleashed before her, amazed such that she had dropped her wares. Or perhaps the shattering glass was a side effect of the extreme power crackling between two worthy foes.

I forced the distractions from my head, and nothing existed for me except for those two smooth, blue eyes. How strange they were in their terrible placidity. There was no iris that you might find in the human eye, no point of reference to grab hold of. Only a vast, terrible azure nothingness. The eyes of pure evil.

The bead of sweat had become a trail now, as the moisture dripped inexorably towards the exposed orb of my eye. I knew the end was near for me if I did not defeat my foe quickly. Briefly, I considered conjuring fire in an effort to swing the tides in my favor. Perhaps a small burst of shadow in the abysmal blue across from me would serve my purposes. Remembering my Dwarven audience, however, I quickly dismissed those thoughts. I had a reputation to uphold, and I didn't think they would let me live down that particular transgression.

My eyebrow twitched as the moisture mingled with the hair there, slowing it down for a moment and taunting me with thoughts of victory. Still, the eyes stared unblinking. Smoke wafted, light flickered, there was no change. The sweat slowly, agonizingly swept through my brow and perched on the inside of my nose. There it found the smooth slope more to its liking and began to gather speed. The end was near for me now, I knew. The droplet caressed the bridge of my nose as it raced towards my eyeball. I would not flinch. I braced myself for the agony I knew was coming, tensing my muscles as the bead charged.

A searing agony ripped through my body as the salty liquid breached the protective barriers around my eye. I knew there was no more fight in me as the burning seemed to engulf the entirety of the orb. It felt as though my eye might be flickering in sympathy to the torch on the wall behind me. Finally, conceding defeat, I blinked, and my breath whooshed out of me.

Two small arms flung around my neck and girlish giggling filled the room. I quickly wiped the tears away from my eyes and straightened up, glancing around nervously. The business of the inn carried on as if nothing had happened. The torch burned, unaware. The Dwarves smoked their pipes over tankards of ale, chuckling silently, their eyes screaming: You got beat by a girl. The barmaid casually swept up the floor on the far side of the room, glittering shards gathering in a pile, unconcerned.

"I win!" the adorable, blue eyed alien girl exclaimed. She released me from her death grip and sat back in her chair across from me, beaming radiantly. "What do you wanna do now mister man of shadows and fires?" she asked innocently, smiling wide and trying desperately, I knew, to kill me with cuteness.

"That's 'Lord of Shadow and Fire'," I reminded sternly. She giggled again. "The innkeeper keeps some animals out back," I explained, pointed to the rear of the building. "Let's go see if they like fire!"

Darnaa, the orphan, cocked her head at me, obviously unsure if what I suggested was allowed or proper. That was the problem with these space goats, always worrying about the "morality" of a casual burning. Couldn't they ever just have fun?

"Don't even think about it Fulguralis," the barkeep admonished, fixing me with a stern look after having noticed only my gestures. "I know what you're fixin' to do back there."

I sighed and stood up, shrugging innocently at the barkeep, "What? Me?" I pointed at myself. "I was just telling her about all the disgusting rats in your cellar." I lied.

"Yeah, I'll bet you were. How about you just get on your way? Weren't you going to take the girl over to the Portal? 'Tis not really a place fit for a girl," the barkeep shrugged, "but if you go quickly you might be able to squeeze in between one of the assaults."

"Sure sure, let's go Darnaa," I acquiesced, starting for the door. The small girl hopped quickly to her feet, sprinting over to me as if I might leave her (again), and then began skipping at my side. I looked at her curiously, still a bit wary about her kind. You know, children. Pure. Evil.

"Hey, Darnaa," I said excitedly, a thought popping into my head. "Remember when you made those elemental thingies appear?" She nodded innocently back at me, her eyes lighting up at the memory. "Do you think you could just make the one made of fire appear by himself?" I pressed.

Grinning, she closed her eyes and a few seconds later, a small fire elemental burned to life next to her. She looked at me proudly, pointing at the flame.

"Ha, awesome," I replied deviously. See, this wasn't going to be so bad after all, I told myself.
We exited the inn with the fire elemental in tow. I looked around.

There's gotta be something flammable around here somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment