Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Some Of My Best Work Comes In Comments

For some reason, I find I write more poignantly when inspired by the comments of others. There is a very interesting "dance" going on between Larisa over at Pink Pigtailed Inn and Gevlon at the Greedy Goblin. The basic question is do you choose a skilled player who is an asshat over a friendly player who is unskilled and the justifications thereof. It's probably pretty obvious where I might stand on the issue and to get the full context you should probably head over to the post linked above, but I think the comment is a valid read in its own right.

Very interesting and glad I caught this. For some reason my blog list doesn't like telling me when you write a new article. I'll have to look into that. I have two very long comments (apologies in advance).


1. If you have every played a sport, especially at higher levels, or follow a sport, you KNOW that any great leader makes those around him better. Look at Michael Jordan. He was amazing, but he also made everyone around him better. A team is never just robots doing their job, but a very dynamic group of interpersonal relationships intertwined to either succeed or fail as a group. Henry Ford's interchangeable parts theories won't function in a true team environment. Is this what we have in WoW? For me and my raid teams, yes. For others... maybe not.

2. Regarding Maslow's hierarchy of needs (In case you're wondering, Maslow's Pyramid is a theoretical structure used in psychology to indicate the hierarchy of human needs, putting the basics at the base like breathing and eating, and indicating social needs have far less importance, such as friendship); Maslow himself wrote: "By ordinary standards of this kind of laboratory research... this simply was not research at all. My generalizations grew out of my selection of certain kinds of people. Obviously, other judges are needed." Generalizations; pause for a moment and reflect on that word. If you take any classes in psychology, you'll quickly learn that, like the English language, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules. I would point to close familial bonding as one such exception to Maslow's generalizations. Love breaks this "rule of thumb" every time, hands down. The very essence of love is putting someone else before yourself, shattering the very foundation upon which that pyramid is build. Do you love the game and the people you group with? To some extent, I certainly do, but that is another personal question you need to ask yourself. And if you don't love what you're doing in an optional hobby, why do it? What do you get from WoW if not enjoyment?

This game, like many other things in life is most certainly what the individual makes of it. I maintain that you're going to get out what you put in. Feed it love, compassion, and hope... you'll get those returned 10-fold. Feed it malice and hate? Well, you do the math.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh great post, very in-depth.
    Never heard of the Pyramid statement, so that was fresh and intresting for me to read.

    I enjoyed reading this :) seems you've kinda thought about it and you've enjoyed Larisa's relatively recent post. I did too. Physcology is a intresting subject indeed, and your right-

    There is always exceptions.
    Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TY. Psychology was one of my college minors and has always been kind of a side hobby to study (engineers don't usually have to pay attention to it too much until you're actually in charge of people, and even then engineer doesn't exactly = people person). One thing you learn real quick is that there is a theory for almost everything, and none of 'em are perfect. Understanding them can definitely help understand some behaviors, but... none are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I minored in psych as well... such fun I had in those courses!

    It was a good comment and postworthy. ;)

    ReplyDelete